Any 100+ mph swingers using a regular shaft driver?

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
My driver swing ranges from 100 - 106. Sometimes I'll push toward 110 but rarely. Going by the "guide," I should be in a stiff shaft.

The other day, however, I picked up a G25 with a regular flex shaft. I was hitting it farther, with better launch, and better dispersion. I even compared it to stiff of the same club and was way better. Makes me wonder if I should be regular flex in driver...

Anyone else that has a 100+ swing play a regular shaft driver? Why did you make the switch and what has been your experience?

I swing at about 115 and hit ladies flex hybrids pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My driver swing ranges from 100 - 106. Sometimes I'll push toward 110 but rarely. Going by the "guide," I should be in a stiff shaft.

The other day, however, I picked up a G25 with a regular flex shaft. I was hitting it farther, with better launch, and better dispersion. I even compared it to stiff of the same club and was way better. Makes me wonder if I should be regular flex in driver...

Anyone else that has a 100+ swing play a regular shaft driver? Why did you make the switch and what has been your experience?

I'll preface this by saying that in no way do I consistently swing 100mph with my driver. I've hit 100+ in fittings, but a comfortable swing for me is in the mid 90s. I had the same experience with the Ping driver in R flex at a demo day the other day. It just felt about perfect to me, and I was all over the middle of the face. I don't have a particularly quick transition.

The best driver I ever gamed was the Callaway Razr Fit with a stock Regular flex shaft. Based on my Bridgestone ball fitting, golf simulators in my league, and my fitting at the Grandaddy, I"m around 108 - 111 swing speed depending upon how many beers I had the night before.

Flex has less to do with swing speed, and more to do with transition.

ignore the flex and focus on the shaft bend profile and how it might work for you.

I'm about 108 and I use a Stiff. I've hit regular shafts and do get some more distance but usually blow it way right.

Flex has less to do with swing speed, and more to do with transition.
This is why my fitting says I need an X flex.... Really aggressive transition.

I'm usually around 89-94 with driver. Super slow takeaway and backswing with more of quick yank at the top. Lately I've found better luck using S flexes with my driver over R flex. Actually hit the Tour 80 S at a Ping demo day and it was much better for me than the TFC R and S. The TFC was shorter with more dispersion.

Flex can also be very different brand to brand. A stiff in one shaft could be more regular in another and vise versa. It is always beneficial to get fit as there is no real consistency from manufacturer to manufacturer with flex. Even the way flex is measured is different from one to another. I have been fit in to everything from Regular in one brand to X in another. Finding the right shaft for your particular swing means looking at more than just what flex is on the label.

I play X in my woods and S in my irons and I swing about 105-108 MPH. I know I can crush regular flex but my mind and ego like a certain setup.

I'm usually between 112-117mph on a flight monitor, and was using the stock Aldila Rogue Silver 60 regular flex. I could really pump a few, but was inaccurate. So my coach tried me with a Bimatrix stiff with the steel tip. It lowered my ball flight, and with the newly adjusted head I have very little spin, and is the most accurate I've been with a driver. Still get the odd bomb, but control is what I'm after. Never could get that with the regular flex.
A flight monitor is the way to find out though.

Flex can also be very different brand to brand. A stiff in one shaft could be more regular in another and vise versa. It is always beneficial to get fit as there is no real consistency from manufacturer to manufacturer with flex. Even the way flex is measured is different from one to another. I have been fit in to everything from Regular in one brand to X in another. Finding the right shaft for your particular swing means looking at more than just what flex is on the label.

came here to say this. stiff doesn't mean anything objectively.

I'm high 90s low 100s and play better with r flex. in fact, I'm going to buy an r flex shaft pretty soon because my experiment with s this year just hasn't been what I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am right around 112mph with a driver and swing an S or X depending on shaft. I play golf with a buddy from grad school that swings as hard if not harder than me and has an R-flex in his driver. He can bomb it with that thing. Feels like a wet noodle when I swing it.

ignore the flex and focus on the shaft bend profile and how it might work for you.

This ^^^^

Depends on the shaft, your transition and loading.

Besides, there is no industry standard as to what is regular, stiff, x-stiff, so you take an educated guess and step on a launch monitor.

I'm right in the same range as you at a 100-105mph swing speed. I was fit for my Bridgestone J815 driver recently and was fit with a regular shaft. It worked better for me. Had a higher launch and better dispersion vs the stiff shaft. Of course I have a Callaway V-series with a stiff shaft that worked better than the regular. I'd say whatever works best for you.

Safe flex is pretty much null and void and worthless. One company's stiff is another's X is a different R+. It comes down to what works for you. Hit a ton of combos what whatever you can hit the furthest without sacrificing too much accuracy, use it.
I swing over 120 and use a Stiff..... but it goes srraight, a bit spinny, but consistent.

I would now recommend always going with the fitting from a trusted fitter. My "numbers" say I should fall in the Stiff range, but in fitting the X flex in driver was better on feel and dispersion. I somewhat doubted this as the first time this was on a monitor--but with club champion fitting confirming along with a true range fitting with Ping van onsite where I could see actual ball flight it was confirmed--go with what works for you. If a ladies shaft produced better results I would have no problem with whatever the label was on the shaft itself.

Back