Anyone Else Have a Swing Weight Issue?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I am 6'5" with relatively short arms, as a result my irons and wedges are +2-inches. Even though I have a lightweight shaft (F3 Recoil 660's), the swing weight is E3**. I got curious and did a little research: D0-D1 is the SW for most male recreational golfers, and D4 for players like McIlroy and Dustin Johnson. At 68, I play senior flex, but wonder if my iron and wedge SW's is costing me distance and accuracy? In any case, I don't think anything can be done about it. I hit some irons that were +1-inches, and it felt like I was squatting down. Even my fairway woods are +0.5 inches.

Anyone else struggle with SW?

**When I played iron shafts the SW was E8.

My only swing weight issue is that my current weight impacts my swing.

Yea, that's really tough @Sean. I know some companies can sort for lighter heads with longer builds, but 2 inches is a ton of length.

Yea, that's really tough @Sean. I know some companies can sort for lighter heads with longer builds, but 2 inches is a ton of length.
It is, but maybe I now have an excuse for not playing as well as I think I should be playing, lol.

It is, but maybe I now have an excuse for not playing as well as I think I should be playing, lol.

Maybe some counter-weighting?

Where did you get fit? I don't know if a Club Champion can get lighter heads.

Where did you get fit? I don't know if a Club Champion can get lighter heads.
One of our local golf shops. They have a nice set-up. You hit indoors, but out into a driving range, so while you still get all the Trackman data, you can also see your ball flight. This was over four years ago though.

One of our local golf shops. They have a nice set-up. You hit indoors, but out into a driving range, so while you still get all the Trackman data, you can also see your ball flight. This was over four years ago though.

I would reach out to CC (True Spec and Cool Clubs are options) and see what they can do for overlength clubs.

I would reach out to CC (True Spec and Cool Clubs are options) and see what they can do for overlength clubs.
Counterweighting would work (since I have a head weight issue), if I stayed within the same total weight, meaning I'd have to change shafts. There are lighter shafts out there, but not by much, plus changing to a lighter iron shaft won't lower the swing weight unless the balance point of the iron shaft is different. If I had the right head, I could drill some holes in the back of the irons. Charl Schwartzel did this in 2020, when he bought a set of Miura's on line (he was an equipment free agent at the time). I can't do that with my irons because there would be no place to drill...I play the Callaway Mavrik's.

I think the only option is to find an OEM that makes lighter weight heads. I checked a few OEM websites, and didn't see that as being offered.

Or, get a set of muscle backs and drill some holes in them, lol.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 4.49.53 PM.png

Back