Anyone have experience with Ping Power Spec/Retro Spec versus the standard lofts?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious of people's thoughts and experience with this concept. I have G425 irons on order in Power Spec at the suggestion of the fitter due to my high iron launch on the standard G425 and my current G700 irons but the demo bay didn't have actual powerspec heads for me to actually hit them. Power Spec G425 is essentially only 1 degree stronger than my stock G700 and he wasn't concerned about spin issues for me due to the difference while we tried to knock the launch angle down a few degrees with the Alta shaft and the loft change. They should be here in 1-2 weeks for me to see what they can actually do.

There aren't many reviews on these alternate lofts but I saw TXG did an i500 video comparing all 3 lofts and their findings showed virtually identical launch angles and spin numbers but the ball speed increased greatly as the loft got stronger. The Power Spec actually launched highest because of the increased ball speed but they had 17 yards difference between them. Michael Newton did a comparison between retro spec and standard in the i500 and he was getting almost 600 rpm spin difference.

Anyone else have any real experiences with the Ping lofts? Do they actually manufacture heads in those lofts or are they all the same heads that they just bend to the specs?

My G400’s are Power Spec. I’ve never had an issue holding greens and they launch plenty high. It’s pretty fun to hit 180yd 7i also

My G400’s are Power Spec. I’ve never had an issue holding greens and they launch plenty high. It’s pretty fun to hit 180yd 7i also
That's good to hear. If I get similar results like they did on the TXG testing I'll feel great about the performance. I like the high launch as long as it isn't costing me distance while keeping my spin in the ballpark. I'm definitely looking forward to getting a chance to hit them when they finally arrive.

I have, with both Ping and PXG.
To be honest, I never noticed any difference with the Pings, and I’m starting to think it’s much ado over nothing.
I’m thinking of getting my 0211’s bent back to their original lofts, which I have in the 5 and 6 iron, just to see if I get a higher ball flight.

I have, with both Ping and PXG.
To be honest, I never noticed any difference with the Pings, and I’m starting to think it’s much ado over nothing.
I’m thinking of getting my 0211’s bent back to their original lofts, which I have in the 5 and 6 iron, just to see if I get a higher ball flight.
The 0211 are pretty strong to begin with (at least the current model) where the 7i is 28* as stock. The Ping G425 is 28.5 in the Power Spec setup.

What do you have your 0211 set up to be? I really considered blind ordering a set of those but decided to go with the Ping since I could at least demo those against my G700.

@gmiller598
just to expound a little bit, I think the design of the head and length of the shaft have more to do with distance, and probably height than 1 to 1.5* of loft.
i wanted the Pings and PXGs to match the lofts of my Rogue X irons. I accomplished that, but neither set goes as far as the Rogue X.
Good luck with your new clubs, hope you enjoy them. Please get back to us and let me know whether you see or don’t see any difference in height and/or distance with them.

@gmiller598
just to expound a little bit, I think the design of the head and length of the shaft have more to do with distance, and probably height than 1 to 1.5* of loft.
i wanted the Pings and PXGs to match the lofts of my Rogue X irons. I accomplished that, but neither set goes as far as the Rogue X.
Good luck with your new clubs, hope you enjoy them. Please get back to us and let me know whether you see or don’t see any difference in height and/or distance with them.
I certainly will. I was seeing a bit more distance (a few yards) and consistency in the G425 over my G700 in the stock spec. I'm really curious how they will perform once I actually see them in a slightly stronger setup than what I tested. I also go .5" longer and I was surprised to see that Ping calls the Recoil SMACWRAP a high launch shaft and the stock Alta a mid-high shaft. The fitter definitely seemed to think the slightly lower launching shaft and power spec would get my launch and peak heights into a more ideal range.

The 0211 are pretty strong to begin with (at least the current model) where the 7i is 28* as stock. The Ping G425 is 28.5 in the Power Spec setup.

What do you have your 0211 set up to be? I really considered blind ordering a set of those but decided to go with the Ping since I could at least demo those against my G700.
5i & 6 standard loft
7-PW 1* strong
GW. 2* strong
i also have the 54* sw bent to 52* and the 60* lw bent to 58* but right now I’m still playing the Vokeys in my sig.

I certainly will. I was seeing a bit more distance (a few yards) and consistency in the G425 over my G700 in the stock spec. I'm really curious how they will perform once I actually see them in a slightly stronger setup than what I tested. I also go .5" longer and I was surprised to see that Ping calls the Recoil SMACWRAP a high launch shaft and the stock Alta a mid-high shaft. The fitter definitely seemed to think the slightly lower launching shaft and power spec would get my launch and peak heights into a more ideal range.
I’ve played the recoils and I’d consider them a mid flight and the Alta high, but what do I know? Lol.
The main thing here is you liked your irons in the fitting. I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t expect a big change in the height with the PSLs either, and that’s not a bad thing. Almost every amateur who Thinks they hit the ball too high actually doesn’t.

Last edited:
Quite awhile back I had a set of i200's with the Power Spec loft. I had never hit the set without the Power Spec so I'm not sure how it compares bit I didn't have any issues holding greens, and I'm a low spin iron player. I think it provided a bit lower flight than I'm used to but nothing crazy.

I’ve played the recoils and I’d consider them a mid flight and the Alta high, but what do I know? Lol.
The main thing here is you liked your irons in the fitting. I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t expect a big change in the height with the PSLs either, and that’s not a bad thing. Almost every amateur who Thinks they hit the ball too high actually doesn’t.
I would have thought the same too but perhaps it has to do with the taper tip that Ping uses versus parallel.

My i210 are power spec. It was mainly done for gapping issues, but for myself it's a touch more spin AND increase in yardage. I've been super pleased

My i210 are power spec. It was mainly done for gapping issues, but for myself it's a touch more spin AND increase in yardage. I've been super pleased
You saw more spin taking the lofts stronger?

You saw more spin taking the lofts stronger?
On the GC quad I was getting around 200 rpm more on average with my 4 and 5 iron, the 6-8 was pretty much the same, and then 9-U wedge was also around 150-200. I had a slight increase in ball speeds as well.

On the GC quad I was getting around 200 rpm more on average with my 4 and 5 iron, the 6-8 was pretty much the same, and then 9-U wedge was also around 150-200. I had a slight increase in ball speeds as well.
Goes to show how important fitting is!

Goes to show how important fitting is!
Agree a thousand times over. This year I've gone thru an entire fitting from driver to wedge. Really opened my eyes from what I thought to what was actual. Also shout out to shot scope for showing the numbers to be true and adding confidence. Now I can only blame my swing and not the equipment 🙂

It certainly seems feasible since the ball speeds are increasing with the lower lofts. I would assume that however you deliver the club to the ball can dictate if/how the increased ball speed is utilized. I know the TXG video saw similar launch and spin for power spec vs. standard vs retro spec the only real difference was ball speed and distance. I'm still waiting patiently on my G425 to arrive so I'm curious to find out what I see in real life from my G700.

Back