Ball Striking Improvement Club

nickyt17

Reaction score
So I've been making some pretty solid improvement in my ball striking with my irons at the range. I don't hit it too fat or thin anymore and don't miss too far left to right anymore. I'd still like to improve my ball striking and had an idea the other day and wanted to see what everyone thinks. I was thinking of trying to find an older (2000-2005?) blade or forged muscle back 7 iron just to use on the range. Almost a cheaper alternative to the tour striker especially since I don't particularly have an issue hitting down on the ball. I figured it'd have way more feedback than i'm used to. Also, does anyone know where the cheapest place to find one is? I've been looking on ebay but no especially good deals. What do you guys think?

You can get a good set of old muscle back blades on ebay for $75. Whole set. I bought an old set of Golden Rams off ebay for $50 to use on the range to improve ball striking, 2i - pw. After a while, I liked them so much I started playing with them all the time. That was 10 years ago and still using them.

I am going to try this when some courses open up. Bought an old (80's?) Titleist blade in used clothing store for 4 bucks, so I figured why not.

I got a whole set of hogan apex II cameos for $50

I don't think it's a bad idea but I think switching between the clubs could cause some problems. Different wights, shaft lengths, feel etc could make it difficult to switch clubs without having to transition back.

I practice with blades when my swing gets sloppy. The blades help me to work on a more moderate swing tempo (mishits hurt). It might not work for everyone, but I have found that it helps me.

I have a few thrift/second hand stores around me so I'll keep checking for an older blade and keep checking ebay for a used tour striker. Thanks for the ideas guys!

So I've been making some pretty solid improvement in my ball striking with my irons at the range. I don't hit it too fat or thin anymore and don't miss too far left to right anymore. I'd still like to improve my ball striking and had an idea the other day and wanted to see what everyone thinks. I was thinking of trying to find an older (2000-2005?) blade or forged muscle back 7 iron just to use on the range. Almost a cheaper alternative to the tour striker especially since I don't particularly have an issue hitting down on the ball. I figured it'd have way more feedback than i'm used to. Also, does anyone know where the cheapest place to find one is? I've been looking on ebay but no especially good deals. What do you guys think?

This is a great idea... Easiest is probably just to look in the used club bin at your golf course for something that is setup similar to your own clubs and use it... Probably could get something for $10 or less.

Tour Striker

I have one and don't find it useful at all. I'm a high ball hitter in hopes of hitting low piercing shots with the Tour Striker but it didn't work for me :(

I do like the concept of the "little one" by PSP Golf but wouldn't it be the same to buy a kids 5i or not?

Check a club called the little one by PSP Golf!

Just checked this out and it's 70:30 that I hit Buy within the next 5 minutes... This is the embodiment of an idea I've had for a while that focus and precision could be improved by making the margins of error much much smaller in practice, then moving to things that are easier to hit for the actual game... Another idea for precision would be to use this (or your regular clubs) with ball bearings about half the size of real golf balls and chip those off of extremely tight lies to solidify the contact as well (Just tape your clubs and obviously no full shots or the police will come after you...).

I don't think it's a bad idea but I think switching between the clubs could cause some problems. Different wights, shaft lengths, feel etc could make it difficult to switch clubs without having to transition back.

I agree with this.

Just checked this out and it's 70:30 that I hit Buy within the next 5 minutes... This is the embodiment of an idea I've had for a while that focus and precision could be improved by making the margins of error much much smaller in practice, then moving to things that are easier to hit for the actual game... Another idea for precision would be to use this (or your regular clubs) with ball bearings about half the size of real golf balls and chip those off of extremely tight lies to solidify the contact as well (Just tape your clubs and obviously no full shots or the police will come after you...).

I really like the ball bearing/tight lies idea too. I actually saw a segment on school of golf where Martin Hall put a quarter on the ground and basically took a full swing. When you hit the back edge of the quarter it will perfectly flip the coin in the air. Seems a little tough for me so the ball bearings are a better idea for now

You can buy demo 6 irons of almost any make or model, a 6 is a little longer and a little harder to hit than a 7, and you won't find many loose 7 irons, demo 6 irons are a dime a dozen. You won't need to buy a whole set of used clubs to get one either. I myself use a blade 1 iron for this purpose. I know from experience that if I can hit that 1 iron solid and straight I can hit almost anything I am going to hit on the golf course so it provides a lot of confidence. Also it will build strength because you have to hit that pretty hard to get it off the ground. This is maybe not recommended for a beginner, a 6 iron is a better choice, but an intermediate player could benefit from hitting a 2 or a 3 iron. Another thing that is easy to do is take a wooden tee and put it on the ground, lay it flat and not pushed into the ground, then line up the large end of the tee like it were a ball and try to hit that and make it fly some. If you can swing hard with a 3W or a driver and can pick that tee off the ground then you are doing a lot of things right with your balance and stability.

Go with the PSP. It's a brutal brutal aid but it can do wonders. I agree, the Tour Striker is great for someone who doesn't understand hit down on it but even the Tour Striker X won't do much to help someone if they already get the concept of hitting down on a ball hard.

I have a old set of top flight pro grinds that I take with me from time to time to the range it helps I think

Back