Thegeneral451

King Linksbear
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad
So the Trip to Bandon Dunes was amazing. It was a long travel day on the way out, 20 hrs from waking up to going to bed. We flew into PDX and rented a mini van and drove the 4.5hrs to Bandon. We stopped over in Eugene to shop at Fiddler's Green. No sales tax in Oregon is key! They had a sale on 2011 premium golf balls for $25/dz. I picked up two dz of the Bridgestone 330s.

When we arrived at the resort we checked in and headed over to McKee's Pub to get some dinner. I dunno if any meal in the history of the world tasted so good after a long day on the road. From the time that we arrived on the property until the time we left, we received the best customer service. The following morning we started our golf experience with a round at Old Macdonald. It was an amazing experience that kicked my butt! I never played on a course of that style. Im not the strongest putter or the strongest with the short game so It was painful but a great learning experience. I had to be creative play shots that I never played before. Also I was left some very long parts which really gave me a crash course on lag putting.

The second day we played Old Macdonald in the Morning and Bandon Dunes in the afternoon. There was a frost delay on Old Mac but not on the other courses so we really had to push and make sure we had a good paced round. We turned in a 4hr 10min round (should have been shorter but the cart pullers didn't know they could pull the cart over the greens). To our surprise when we were returning to the parking lot a gentleman stopped us and informed us that they called ahead to Bandon and can switch our tee times so we could sit down and have lunch. It was a great surprise! After a good lunch at the Tufted Puffin we hit our second round of the Day. The style of play on Bandon Dunes was completely different then Old Mac and more resembling the style of course we are used to. And after two rounds on Old Mac the putting seemed a heck of alot easier! the views were great and we Posted our lowest scores of the trip!

The Third and final day was a morning round at Pacific Dunes and an afternoon round at Bandon Trails. After beautiful weather the first two days, the third day became a beautiful Scottish golf day: 30mph winds and downpours! The first 17 holes weren't too bad, wind and rain here and there but nothing too bad. But after that it was full on storm, or "wind" as they call it lol! Pacific Dunes was visually the most stunning of the 4 courses and very tricky when the wind gusts on the Bluffs. Now 72 holes into the trip with 18 remaining, I started to feel the exhaustion of carrying and walking every hole. We all started to fade, so to help us out we played Captain and Crew better ball on Bandon Trails. We played even par on the front 9, considering the crappy weather and the exhaustion I was pleased with that. Unfortunately, We were not able to finish the back 9. Emotionally the rain and wind defeated me and we caught a cart back to the clubhouse. On the plus side the ranger said we would have been pulled off the course due to lightning.

On the fourth day we departed at 330am to catch our flight and the sadness washed over us :( . Overall the trip was amazing! Good food in every location, great friends, and great golf! We experienced a memorable night in the Bunker Bar, where a 70yr old man in full kilt played the bagpipes while we enjoyed some cigars and some adult beverages. France was the big winner on the betting front, but he did have to buy me a bottle of Macallan 12yr!

It was a life changing experience for me and i realized I have to focus more on my golf! Any questions, feel free to ask!

[video=youtube;T-purycurPM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-purycurPM[/video]

[video=youtube;cFu-_0NqS5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFu-_0NqS5M[/video]

Mark left it within 6ft!

Great write up. I will check out the pics and vids when I get home tonight. Bandon is my favorite place i've ever played golf. I've been there twice and cannot wait to go back. Glad you had a good time.

It was a life changing experience for me and i realized I have to focus more on my golf! Any questions, feel free to ask!

Congratulations on the great trip!

I have said similar things and get varying degrees of glazed over looks back at me. I think it has to be experienced to be understood.

I like your report - brings back memories. The wind blew so hard it knocked over our standing bags and we had to run across the green to nab them before they went over the cliff.

Next time use the caddies. It is an extra hit to the pocket book but man do your feet and back appreciate it at the end of every day and the end of the trip.

I like your report - brings back memories. The wind blew so hard it knocked over our standing bags and we had to run across the green to nab them before they went over the cliff.

lol yeah that happened a few time, nothing near the cliffs though. Funniest was walking down Pacific #18 and divots were cartwheeling down the fairway like tumbleweeds.

Thanks for the write up! I can't wait to play there this year and every year after.

Thanks for the write up! I love Bandon! It is my favorite place to golf in the world!

Sweet looking Pics. The course looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Waiting for Manifestos

Thanks for the write up! I can't wait to play there this year and every year after.

It was so worth the Trip! The February pricing is great too. it was $95 a round with a $50 replay so it was well worth it. When it was all said and done I think I spend $1200 and that was flight, room, food, golf, and gifts!

Thanks for the write up! I love Bandon! It is my favorite place to golf in the world!

I want to go back right now but there are so many other places I want to play!

Sweet looking Pics. The course looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Waiting for Manifestos

France has some more pics, maybe he will post them. He has a better Camera! And the Manifestos are coming soon! We have to meet up for another round or three this year.

$1200 bucks for that trip is an awesome deal, thanks for sharing with us

Amazing trip. I'm super jealous now, and you got a great deal!

I am trying to hide my jealousy. 8-1/2 more years until it is my time, I can't wait. If my sons pick up the game I may wait a couple more years so they can experience it with me.

Of the many things I plan to do before I am too old to enjoy them near the top of that list is to play Bandon.

@ General: Favorite course? Favorite hole?

@ General: Favorite course? Favorite hole?

Favorite course is def Pacific Dunes. The views are amazing, the holes are challenging, and there was more thought in all my shots due to wind.

Its hard to choose a favorite hole. Bandon Dunes #16 is visually stunning! We got there close to sundown and the view was great. Pacific Dunes #11 is a great par 3 right on the ocean. Bandon Trails #5 is another great Par 3 with the tight looking approach through the trees. Also Pacific Dunes #7 is crazy, its such a protected green and intimidating when your lining up your approach. Old Macdonald #7 is also a treat, pretty straight forward tee shot but an approach to a very elevated green that has a ton of risk: leave it short and roll back down the hill, go long into a bunker, or go long into the tangled rough if not off the cliff.

On every course I used every club in my bag. It was just a great experience, I just hope I don't ruin my golf trips in the future by comparing them to Bandon.

nice pics and write up man! looks amazing its def on my bucket list.

1200$ is amazing! I'm so pumped to go!

Back