Best Stock Driver Shaft??

Mrbrian897

Reaction score
Handicap
~12
What do you guys think is the best quality STOCK driver shaft?

I have an '09 TM Burner in regular flex. The shaft feels SO WEAK to me (in flex and quality). I am looking to get a stiff flex shaft, but don't really want to drop a bunch of money on an aftermarket shaft (even though there are some sweet looking ones out there). I think I would rather spend a little more and get a new driver with decent stock shaft.

So, any advice on drivers to try out would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PS- I've seen all the Miyazaki love, so I'm already thinking Cleveland will be one to try.

Great things are said everywhere about Miyazaki shafts. If you are going to get a new driver though, I'd get fitted. A shaft can be very high quality, but if it isn't right for you, then you probably won't like it or it won't perform well for you. I would try out a bunch and see what shaft works best for you. I actually know somebody who loves the shaft in the Burner because it works well for him. So I'd say get fitted and try out a bunch.

I like the R11 blur shaft. Perfect length and perfect weight. Some same it is rather heavy but I find it very helpful with my tendency to fade my drives.

Getting fitted is hugely important.
When I got fitted for a 910, we did a broad spectrum of shafts - light to heavy, and low and behold the heaviest shaft (82g) that they had was the one for me. It felt like a 2x4 because it wouldn't twist, and when it loaded up it sprung with a vengeance.
Just depends on your swing and your tendencies.

Titleist gives you some nice options for stock shafts.

The Wilson Staff DXI comes with a Aldila VooDoo shaft in it, and i've heard good things about them. Titliest has decent options as well. It also depends on what type of shots you want. If you want higher ball flight with more spin, look at something like the Mitsubishi Bassara W-series 50 on Titleist. If you want a low, penetrating ball flight with low spin, look at Titleist ‘ahina 72 shaft. The Bassara is about as high launching and high spin as you get, A Proforce V2 96 is about as low launching and low spin as you get.

I have the stock matrix hd6. I am really liking it, it's pretty smooth. I think titleist has great shaft options. I am really excited to see which OEM may offer the phenom as stock???

I know the Ping G20 shaft isn't a name brand stock shaft, but I have the Tour X-Flex and I really like its responsiveness.

Try the Titleist 910D over at GG on Broad and Gaskins. There's a young guy by the name of Josh that really knows his stuff. They have about 10 different shafts you can try out and by adjusting the settings on the driver you'll get a good fit.

Definitely get fit. A cheaper shaft that's fitted for your swing will outperform a badly-matched expensive shaft every time.

There really is no best. Because the best quality components in the world will not help a thing if it does not fit your swing or work well for your swing. If you are going by just what is in the shaft (meaning "ingredients" and build quality) it would be hard to beat Miyazaki and/or Project X though.

i like the project x in my hybrid, 3 wood should be here today with same shaft! the miyazaki was also a very nice shaft

There really is no best. Because the best quality components in the world will not help a thing if it does not fit your swing or work well for your swing. If you are going by just what is in the shaft (meaning "ingredients" and build quality) it would be hard to beat Miyazaki and/or Project X though.

I'm a perfect example of this. I have hit several of the Clevelandclubs with the C Kua shafts and none of them have done anything for me whatsoever. Great shaft, bad fit.

Thanks for the input so far!

I am definitely going to get fit, and try out a bunch of options. I was just curious if certain OEMs put higher quality shafts in their drivers than others...

Looks like Titleist and Cleveland are the ones I will try first. Also, gotta try out the TMs because I love the '09 Burner and maybe they will have a shaft that suits me better than my current setup.

Get your current driver reshafted. Get a shaft fitting at any golf shop that has that service to offer

If we're taking "best" as a great, real deal shaft in a well priced club then the nods go to Cleveland with the Miyazaki's, Bridgestone with PX's and Titleist with the RIP and PX.

To echo everyone else a shaft is only best if it fits your swing whether it's a $20 Aura or a $1000 TPHD.

Another option would be to head out to Mulligan's Golf Shop out at Boogies sports park. Matt, Jay, or Jerry are very helpful and can set up a great fitting for you too.

I think the better question is...what is the best stock driver shaft for you? Go hit anything and everything and rely on what you see with the numbers/data and what 'feels' the best to you. That'll be your answer

I really like the Motore shaft in the ZL Encore.

Fubuki in the JPX-800. Not stock on the website but stock at my pro shop. No clue why.

Get fitted though, don't just ask what the best shaft is and get it.

Back