Callaway 300 Pro Laser Rangefinder

BigMac

#LLTG!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Every member of Team Legacy received a Callaway 300 Pro Laser Rangefinder at The Grandaddy this year, courtesy of @JasonFinleyCG / Callaway Golf. The version we we received was a limited edition model commemorating this year's Paradym launch, with a colorway that matches the blue forged carbon on the soles of the Paradym woods.

(Photos courtesy of @Muchmore)

Pro300.jpeg Pro300_2.jpeg

The rangefinder is very compact and fits the hand well. The knurled surfaces provide excellent grip, and the magnet on the right side is strong enough to hold it securely in place. It is powered by one CR2 Lithium battery. It comes included with a hard case, with both zippered and bungee closures and a carabiner for attachment to your golf bag.

The unit offers 6x magnification and a claimed range of 5-1000 yards, with accuracy of +/- 1 yard. It has a slope feature, which displays the raw and slope adjusted distances as well as the percent of incline/decline. The slope function can be turned on/off very easily by sliding the Callaway badge on the left side of the unit up/down. In the photo above, the green crescent visible above the badge shows that slope mode is enabled. The display shows 'Y' or 'M' next to your measurements (yards or meters), to confirm you have it on the desired setting.

There are two buttons located on top of the unit. One sets modes and the other is the power/fire button. The eyepiece is adjustable, and holds the adjustment securely. The device features Pin Acquisition (P.A.T.) with Pulse Technology, which locks on to flagsticks and emits a short vibration to indicate lock. It also has scan mode, which allows you to range multiple targets.

The display is very clear and the device locks onto targets immediately with a push of the power button. I've tested it against my Shot Scope Pro L2 and a friend's Bushnell, and the readings always agree within +/- 1 yard. I find it very easy to acquire pins even against background clutter, and the Pulse Technology jolt confirms lock to avoid confusion.

At an MSRP of $249.99, the Callaway 300 Pro is a solid contender in the rangefinder market. Its feature list, compact size, accuracy and speed put it on par with competitors costing significantly more money.

Last edited:
Good pricing. If I didn't already enjoy my Bushnell I'd be looking at this.

Good price and I like the looks of that!

My Bushnell V3 won’t die, but when it does, I’ll look at this one!

Has all the great features at a great price, looks solid… thanks for the write-up.

Great write up @BigMac !
These look awesome in person!

Update: I now have over 50 rounds using the Callaway 300 Pro rangefinder. Accuracy is excellent, as is the ability to acquire targets even amongst background clutter. It locks on immediately when you push the button, and is simple to operate. I've ranged targets in excess of 800 yards (just for fun) and it has no trouble even at those distances (just note that at those extreme ranges, it needs to be a decent sized target!). It has no trouble picking up any target you'd want to shoot - the pin, golfers ahead of you (to make sure it's safe to hit), trees, bunker edges, water hazard banks/edges for cover distances, etc. The Pulse Technology gives you a short burst of vibration to confirm target acquisition, and it's easily felt in the hands.

It's a compact rangefinder, but the grip is very secure in hand and the built-in magnet adheres strongly to any metal surface. I've used it on both the steering column and A-pillar (roof support) post of golf carts and had no issues with it coming unstuck, even driving full speed through bumpy rough areas. I don't beat my rangefinders up, but it seems rugged enough and I've had no issues with durability, accuracy, or function. The original battery is still going strong after 50+ rounds and probably well over 1000 targets ranged. This is a solid rangefinder that's as good as, or better than, any other unit on the market with similar features.

Update: I now have over 50 rounds using the Callaway 300 Pro rangefinder. Accuracy is excellent, as is the ability to acquire targets even amongst background clutter. It locks on immediately when you push the button, and is simple to operate. I've ranged targets in excess of 800 yards (just for fun) and it has no trouble even at those distances (just note that at those extreme ranges, it needs to be a decent sized target!). It has no trouble picking up any target you'd want to shoot - the pin, golfers ahead of you (to make sure it's safe to hit), trees, bunker edges, water hazard banks/edges for cover distances, etc. The Pulse Technology gives you a short burst of vibration to confirm target acquisition, and it's easily felt in the hands.

It's a compact rangefinder, but the grip is very secure in hand and the built-in magnet adheres strongly to any metal surface. I've used it on both the steering column and A-pillar (roof support) post of golf carts and had no issues with it coming unstuck, even driving full speed through bumpy rough areas. I don't beat my rangefinders up, but it seems rugged enough and I've had no issues with durability, accuracy, or function. The original battery is still going strong after 50+ rounds and probably well over 1000 targets ranged. This is a solid rangefinder that's as good as, or better than, any other unit on the market with similar features.
Based on your thoughts I attached this one to the bag for next week

Based on your thoughts I attached this one to the bag for next week
It really is good. My Pro L2 is now in storage as a backup in case of loss/breakage. The Callaway is more compact and faster.

This is on the bag for the weekend! Excited to use it on course for the first time this year!

This is on the bag for the weekend! Excited to use it on course for the first time this year!
could've used it at Top Golf last week. :ROFLMAO:

It really is a fantastic device. I’ve used it minimally as I solely use my Shot Scope X5 for yardages. I’m not aiming for the pin as much as I did in the past as well that never turned out well. However I will shot distances for playing partners and have come away extremely impressed with how quickly it locks on to the target and an accurate yardage is given. Durability is top notch as I’ve dropped it a few times and it has come away unscathed! Would recommend to anyone in the market for a range finder.

It really is a fantastic device. I’ve used it minimally as I solely use my Shot Scope X5 for yardages. I’m not aiming for the pin as much as I did in the past as well that never turned out well. However I will shot distances for playing partners and have come away extremely impressed with how quickly it locks on to the target and an accurate yardage is given. Durability is top notch as I’ve dropped it a few times and it has come away unscathed! Would recommend to anyone in the market for a range finder.
I used the heck out of it in December while I was following you guys and I have to say, the magnet was a standout for me while not playing. My NX10 has fallen off my cart multiple times from losing magnetic grip. This thing never moved an inch. Understated quality of rangefinders if you ask me

I used the heck out of it in December while I was following you guys and I have to say, the magnet was a standout for me while not playing. My NX10 has fallen off my cart multiple times from losing magnetic grip. This thing never moved an inch. Understated quality of rangefinders if you ask me
That is another call out. For me a magnet meant on a rangefinder either meant I was losing it or it was potentially falling off with my driving. I have to say neither has occurred as the magnet is really strong and thankfully the blue camo color draws my eye to it when the round is over.

So I have to say, I've used this for the last 27 holes and while it's accurate, it takes multiple shots to be accurate. I've had to shoot targets 3-5 times to make sure my reading is correct. I've seen a 150 yard target (actual) show anywhere from 95 to 160 yards when shot with the rangefinder. I have NO idea why there is such a disparity in the readings. I'm shooting the exact same target every time and 3/4 times, it comes up with a different reading. It's accurate when it's right, but it isn't right all the time.

It's super confusing. It picks up a reading super fast and the response time on the jolt is very fast. It's just not as accurate as I want it to be consistently. I have to shoot a target 3-5 times to make sure I'm actually seeing what I'm supposed to be seeing. Maybe it's just my rangefinder, but it's a little frustrating.

So I have to say, I've used this for the last 27 holes and while it's accurate, it takes multiple shots to be accurate. I've had to shoot targets 3-5 times to make sure my reading is correct. I've seen a 150 yard target (actual) show anywhere from 95 to 160 yards when shot with the rangefinder. I have NO idea why there is such a disparity in the readings. I'm shooting the exact same target every time and 3/4 times, it comes up with a different reading. It's accurate when it's right, but it isn't right all the time.

It's super confusing. It picks up a reading super fast and the response time on the jolt is very fast. It's just not as accurate as I want it to be consistently. I have to shoot a target 3-5 times to make sure I'm actually seeing what I'm supposed to be seeing. Maybe it's just my rangefinder, but it's a little frustrating.
That's interesting, wonder if you got a bad one? Mine has been very consistent with distances - if I lock something at 153, it will usually read 153 again and again. The largest variance I'll get will be a yard either way. I occasionally get the weird reading when I miss a pin, like today when I got a reading of like 874 yards when I was shooting a pin my watch was telling me was 130-something, but it was immediately obvious that I had missed the pin and it had locked onto a house way in the distance behind. The readings have been even quicker and more consistent than my Pro L2, which is a solid rangefinder also.

I got in the habit of shooting everything at least 3-4 times....a guy I used to play with would always ask "Are you sure?" when I shot a target, so I started doing it just so I could say "I shot it 4 times, so yes". :LOL:

That's interesting, wonder if you got a bad one? Mine has been very consistent with distances - if I lock something at 153, it will read 153 again and again. I occasionally get the weird reading when I miss a pin, like today when I got a reading of like 874 yards when I was shooting a pin my watch was telling me was 130-something, but it was immediately obvious that I had missed the pin and it had locked onto a house way in the distance behind. The readings have been even quicker and more consistent than my Pro L2, which is a solid rangefinder also.

I got in the habit of shooting everything at least 3-4 times....a guy I used to play with would always ask "Are you sure?" when I shot a target, so I started doing it just so I could say "I shot it 4 times, so yes". :LOL:
I always shoot things more than once too. Regardless of rangefinder, it's always been something I've done. Getting different readings three out of four times isn't confidence inspiring and why I've started shooting like five times with this one. No idea why the readings are as drastically different as they are sometimes. When it's right, it's spot on. I've been dropping darts. But it takes multiple lock ons to get it correct.

Like what ive seen in here and honestly this is high on my list. I have some rewards cash to use on their website and this might find its way to the bag

Back