Callaway Apex Pro Series Irons

Sim range time today to confirm distances. GC Hawk says I hit them about 10-12 yards shorter than I expected. Humbling to say the least. Will play a few rounds with the new data and see if it translates in the real world.

Spent today just working on some club path stuff and not sure how I've gotten so far off line. The 8 iron in this set was the tool. The feel on partial shots from pump drills and such is still really good. The more I gave it the better it felt.

Got some work in on a sim last night, I cannot wait to get these back on the grass tomorrow most likely.. I love the sound and feel. I put a UST Linq in one of my UT and then a Dart V in the other... and the 2 shafts are wildly different feels. I didn't expect them to feel as different as they do. The Dart V feels HEAVY compared to the Linq

As of last night the Dart V UT is absolutely money and I could not stop hitting the one with the Linq shaft "fat".

Got some work in on a sim last night, I cannot wait to get these back on the grass tomorrow most likely.. I love the sound and feel. I put a UST Linq in one of my UT and then a Dart V in the other... and the 2 shafts are wildly different feels. I didn't expect them to feel as different as they do. The Dart V feels HEAVY compared to the Linq

As of last night the Dart V UT is absolutely money and I could not stop hitting the one with the Linq shaft "fat".
LinQ in a UT sounds AMAZING! Hitting it far, not so much lol

Some swing issues, but the hard lefts with the 9i and the PW are still a thing and a bother.

LinQ in a UT sounds AMAZING! Hitting it far, not so much lol
Up until last night it has been by far my favorite shaft in a UT... It was the last 10 shots I hit so was getting little wore down.

The CBs are so fun to hit, I don’t think I have ever had a round where I dont not hit one chunky or thin. Yesterday was so close. I hit 1 shot bad and it was because I was second guessing my distance and decelerated last second and slightly chunked it.

I am not sure what it is about the irons but I am thinking it is the pre-worn leading edge that makes these irons so easy to just go after the ball and have the very satisfying turf interaction

Setting up a sim session to line out the swing. These are to good for me to not do them justice right now

The CBs are so fun to hit, I don’t think I have ever had a round where I dont not hit one chunky or thin. Yesterday was so close. I hit 1 shot bad and it was because I was second guessing my distance and decelerated last second and slightly chunked it.

I am not sure what it is about the irons but I am thinking it is the pre-worn leading edge that makes these irons so easy to just go after the ball and have the very satisfying turf interaction
The thinner sole, plus pre-worn leading edge I believe both account for this. The thinner CB sole allows it to get thru the turf better than the Pros, especially in the short irons, from my experience.

The thinner sole, plus pre-worn leading edge I believe both account for this. The thinner CB sole allows it to get thru the turf better than the Pros, especially in the short irons, from my experience.
I definitely noticed teh CBs were easier for me to hit than the Pros at the fitting, That is what lead me to get CBs 5-9 and MB 10 and 11

I can’t think of an iron I’ve had with better turf interaction.

I can’t think of an iron I’ve had with better turf interaction.
I agree with you and my last 3 sets were not slouches..... Edel SMS regular and pros... Miura TC 201s... then before that was Titleist AP2s. I would put these above those.

8 iron finally showed up last night. First round with the full set after work today.

Excuse the smudges from sunscreeny hands, but how good do these irons look? Had them in the bag for approaching 5 months now and they still look fantastic.

I apologize if I sound like a broken record, but I’m still seeing the same consistency in carry distance and flight. I’m looking for predictability from my irons and these have it. Sound and feel are spot on and what you would expect from a premium iron. Well-struck shots have a super crisp sound, which makes range session more enjoyable. Turf interaction on the CBs continues to impress and I have no fear of digging into the turf.

IMG_9130.jpeg

Excuse the smudges from sunscreeny hands, but how good do these irons look? Had them in the bag for approaching 5 months now and they still look fantastic.

I apologize if I sound like a broken record, but I’m still seeing the same consistency in carry distance and flight. I’m looking for predictability from my irons and these have it. Sound and feel are spot on and what you would expect from a premium iron. Well-struck shots have a super crisp sound, which makes range session more enjoyable. Turf interaction on the CBs continues to impress and I have no fear of digging into the turf.

View attachment 9260754
I was last one on the course last night and dropped balls at certain distances. Every single time the balls were all within 2-3 yards of each other. I don’t think I’ve ever had a more consistent set of irons when it comes to distance. It’s truly insane how much I can trust the club I pull right now

I was last one on the course last night and dropped balls at certain distances. Every single time the balls were all within 2-3 yards of each other. I don’t think I’ve ever had a more consistent set of irons when it comes to distance. It’s truly insane how much I can trust the club I pull right now
It makes a big difference, right? Can trust the distance and if I put a decent swing on it, I know where it will go.

View attachment 9260754

Agree completely. I havent had any surprised that I have had in the past... I know when I pull a club that if I strike the ball well it isnt going to go flying past my normal distance and even slight mishits are not detrimental. It gives a lot of confidence

Agree completely. I havent had any surprised that I have had in the past... I know when I pull a club that if I strike the ball well it isnt going to go flying past my normal distance and even slight mishits are detrimental. It gives a lot of confidence
The mishits too. You’re so right. I’ve hit balls that I thought were BAD. Essentially the same distance. The pros are game changers for me this season

Got these out to the range again, and like what's been mentioned above, the consistency of these, both Pro and CB, is really good. My miss is still a thin shot, low on the face, and time and time again I'm so happy with the ball flight, and end result. It does come out a bit lower, but still gets higher than I deserve. And there is distance loss, but it always feel like it should be more.

Feeling really comfortable with the CB's now. If I put a good swing on it, hit down, and trust it'll get through the turf....they are so good. The Pro long irons, especially the 4i...wow, continues to just amaze. I have a round tomorrow where the 4i is the better play off the tee, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays for me. Just so much confidence!

Got these out to the range again, and like what's been mentioned above, the consistency of these, both Pro and CB, is really good. My miss is still a thin shot, low on the face, and time and time again I'm so happy with the ball flight, and end result. It does come out a bit lower, but still gets higher than I deserve. And there is distance loss, but it always feel like it should be more.

Feeling really comfortable with the CB's now. If I put a good swing on it, hit down, and trust it'll get through the turf....they are so good. The Pro long irons, especially the 4i...wow, continues to just amaze. I have a round tomorrow where the 4i is the better play off the tee, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays for me. Just so much confidence!
I typically miss thin as well. The CBs are quite playable for that miss.

Hit the 5 iron better than the 8 iron today. Not sure why but that speaks to the forgiveness of the Pros. Looking forward to getting a round or two in this weekend

This combo set really shined today. Played a hilly course, with lots of hazards protecting the greens, and both the Pros and CBs shined.

The Pros were really good on long approaches over water. Twice I pulled 4i needing to clear water protecting the front of greens. Both needed to clear 175 carry, and it did both times. Pushed both just a bit right, otherwise I would have hit the front edge of the green. The confidence I have with the 4i is high, even though I did duff one off the tee earlier in the round. But I came back to it, and it did not disappoint. Had a similar shot with the 5i, needing to make up some distance, and it was again point and shoot, with a good ball flight. I topped 2 with the 7i from the fairway...ouch. But again, came back to in on a long-ish par 3, tucked in the back, and landed it pin high, with the ball trickling to the back fringe. Hit it pure, and what a feeling!

CB's, across the board, were also really good. I am liking the turf interaction in these short irons, so much more than the Pros. Just glides through the turf with minimal catching. Had a touchy 8i shot downhill, and went after the pin, which was protected by a frontside bunker. Ball was just left of the pin, and trickled to the left fringe, but easy 2 putt for par. Starting to really gain confidence in these CB's. I gained .76 strokes on approach today, compared to -1.37 last year.

Overall, this has been a good transition to the Combo Pro/CB. I like what each brings to the course. The Pros bring distance and forgiveness, and the CB's great turf interaction and consistency. Both allow me to have confidence on approach.

Overall, this has been a good transition to the Combo Pro/CB. I like what each brings to the course. The Pros bring distance and forgiveness, and the CB's great turf interaction and consistency. Both allow me to have confidence on approach.
The CB's Turf interaction and consistency are a hugely underlooked story to them. I think the turf interaction makes the CB.s more forgiving.

The CB's Turf interaction and consistency are a hugely underlooked story to them. I think the turf interaction makes the CB.s more forgiving.
I agree. And for me, I'm more of a picker with my long irons, and get a bit steeper with the CB's. I'm not an elite player by any means, but I'm having much better success with the CB's than the Pros in the 8i-10i.

And that takes nothing away from the fact I love the Pros in the long irons!

I've had ample time with possession of both the CB and the Pro. The Pro is more fogiving. The feel is slightly more firm but nothing crazy. The sound is excellent in both. The big difference for me is the switch from DG mid back into the Dart 105. I'm gonna hit bad shots. I'm a hack golfer. But I have full confidence in this set up. Playing early in the morning to validate the last few days of hard work.

Back