merlebo02

Reaction score
Handicap
Id like some help choosing between drivers.. Its between the Callaway Ai Smoke Max and the Callaway Ai Smoke triple diamond.. I am some where around 3 handicap so I feel I could play the triple diamond but at the same time, why would I not choose the driver that is more supposedly more forgiving? Other than a slightly smaller head that could potentially give you more club head speed, what would be the benefit to the triple diamond?

Have you gone and hit both to see which you like best?

Have you gone and hit both to see which you like best?
im in a rural area of Ms so not a lot of opportunity to go hit either one of them.. I agree that would be ideal though!

im in a rural area of Ms so not a lot of opportunity to go hit either one of them.. I agree that would be ideal though!
I’d venture to say some local course would have demos. Have you asked?

Id like some help choosing between drivers.. Its between the Callaway Ai Smoke Max and the Callaway Ai Smoke triple diamond.. I am some where around 3 handicap so I feel I could play the triple diamond but at the same time, why would I not choose the driver that is more supposedly more forgiving? Other than a slightly smaller head that could potentially give you more club head speed, what would be the benefit to the triple diamond?
Spin and preferred shot shape would be the main differentiators. TD has the ability to adjust spin up and down with loft and the front/back weights. Max has the ability to shape shots easier with the rear sliding weight and the draw setting on the cog. Comes down to what's more important to your game.

I should say they have the ability to do each (spin and shot shape) more robustly than the other

I’d venture to say some local course would have demos. Have you asked?
There is a golf store that carries Callaway but very limited on shaft options and honestly anytime you try and get help they act like your putting them out (they are always so busy).. The other options are 2 different golf courses but neither carry Callaway products.. I will have to drive around 2 hours (Memphis, Jackson, or Birmingham) to get some where that would be able to fit me into a Callaway club... I know I need a shaft some where around 62g and im right in the middle of a stiff and x-stiff shaft..

Spin and preferred shot shape would be the main differentiators. TD has the ability to adjust spin up and down with loft and the front/back weights. Max has the ability to shape shots easier with the rear sliding weight and the draw setting on the cog. Comes down to what's more important to your game.

I should say they have the ability to do each (spin and shot shape) more robustly than the other
the Max also has the ability to adjust loft effecting spin, does it not? So my current driver set up is just under 9 degrees and slight open face. I def do not need a draw biased driver..

There is a golf store that carries Callaway but very limited on shaft options and honestly anytime you try and get help they act like your putting them out (they are always so busy).. The other options are 2 different golf courses but neither carry Callaway products.. I will have to drive around 2 hours (Memphis, Jackson, or Birmingham) to get some where that would be able to fit me into a Callaway club... I know I need a shaft some where around 62g and im right in the middle of a stiff and x-stiff shaft..
Just my opinion but the drive would be worth it to get the right club and have something I know works vs guessing if the other would be better.

the Max also has the ability to adjust loft effecting spin, does it not? So my current driver set up is just under 9 degrees and slight open face. I def do not need a draw biased driver..
That's why I put that last sentence in there. Of course it does. But the TD has a more robust spin increase/decrease option with the swappable front back weights, while the Max has a more robust shop shaping option with the sliding weight. Both can be set to draw or neutral, but the Max is the one with the sliding weight.

Just sharing the main differentiators besides the head size like you mentioned. There's an entire thread dedicated to the drivers though that I'm sure you could ask the same question and get a few better answers from a bunch of people using them!

Just my opinion but the drive would be worth it to get the right club and have something I know works vs guessing if the other would be bette

That's why I put that last sentence in there. Of course it does. But the TD has a more robust spin increase/decrease option with the swappable front back weights, while the Max has a more robust shop shaping option with the sliding weight. Both can be set to draw or neutral, but the Max is the one with the sliding weight.

Just sharing the main differentiators besides the head size like you mentioned. There's an entire thread dedicated to the drivers though that I'm sure you could ask the same question and get a few better answers from a bunch of people using them!
so would you say the max is a more forgiving club than the TD? Straighter ball flights and good distance despite off center ball strikes..

so would you say the max is a more forgiving club than the TD? Straighter ball flights and good distance despite off center ball strikes..
It's DESIGNED to be that way, but different results for different swings. It's why @e1iterate is stressing a fitting, which I agree with. But I also hear you on not having a ton of local options. It's the same for me. I went blind on a Max and couldn't be happier

Callaway putting a front and back weight on both the ai smoke max and the triple diamond do make some interesting options that the previous paradym didn’t.

Personally I’m leaning towards the extra forgiveness of max head and trying swapping the weights to chase a little more ball speed. Getting a lighter sliding weight and a heavier front weight to get it closer to the triple diamond.

Back