Can anybody recommend a good electric razor?

DGA3

Reaction score
Handicap
For as long as I have shaved my face, I have used a Norelco triple-header electric razor, and they have worked great. Recently, one of the three posts that are attached to the motor and spin the rotary blade broke. It was unfixable.

Consequently, I purchased a new Norelco razor just like my previous one (the company is now Philips Norelco
:roll:
).

Upon opening the box, the first thing I noticed was that the entire thing (except for the razor heads) was made of plastic. It's very light and cheaply made. Secondly, to charge it you now have to do it via USB. Really? It's not a computer or phone. What happened to a good old cord that goes into the wall? Third, the motor doesn't spin as fast as all of my previous Norelco triple-head razors, making it necessary to go over spots numerous times.

The end result is that it now takes longer to shave, and the shave is not as close. The model I purchased was on the lower end, because I did not need any fancy extras or longer battery life - I just want my razor to give me a clean shave. I'm wondering if I trade it in on a more expensive model, if it would be constructed with more solid (i.e. metal) parts, or if it, too, would be made of plastic.

So, for those of you who use an electric razor, do you have one that you could recommend? If all of the Philips Norelco shavers are cheap crap, I may have to switch to a different brand, or - Heaven forbid - drop a three-headed (rotary) razor and go to a foil or single blade style!

That’s not good to hear about the Norelco. I’m just about due to retire mine as it’s not holding a charge like it should. My current one is 15 volts. I can’t imagine that a motor that runs on 5 volts from a USB is going to be very powerful. Are you sure about even the higher end models being as cheap as the lower end models?

Last edited:
The triple headed razors work better for me than the Panasonic or Braun foil type electrics. I have had cheaper Norelco shavers but they don’t shave as close or as fast as the more expensive ones that are their 9000 Series shavers. I got my last one at Costco for about $170. It came with an extra set of shaving heads that sell for $55/set. It charges in about an hour and will last for almost a month on a charge.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's for you, but I really like my Philips One Blade 360. Does a clean shave where I need to and also works to just shorten for example beard or mustache.

That’s not good to hear about the Norelco. I’m just about due to retire mine as it’s not holding a charge like it should. My current one is 15 volts. I can’t imagine that a motor that runs on 5 volts from a USB is going to be very powerful.

Are you sure about even the higher end models being as cheap as the lower end models?

No, I'm not sure! :ROFLMAO:

I think I will purchase a more expensive one from Costco, and see if the quality is any better.

That last time I needed a new electric I passed on the new Norelco models because they weren't getting better over time. I did a lot of research and ended up going with a foil Braun. Couldn't be happier. I could possibly be taking a little longer than the triple headed Norelco but it's definitely a better/smoother shave. I don't remember the model I went with but did get it at Costco.

I've tried Norelco, Panasonic and Braun - I've ended up sticking with the Braun Series 9 for several years now. BUT with all of them, I follow up with a safety razor if I want a really close shave. So every two days, I will use the safety razor after the Braun. It's a swift and easy stroke with the safety razor after the electric.

As to the usb power cord - accept it. Everyone's doing it.

Back in 2020, after I had radiation on my neck, I was told by my oncologist my days of using my Gillette Fusion razor were over, so I started looking at electric razors. After a month of trial and error and thanks to Amazon and their return policy, I ended up with the Braun Series 9. And so far since then, its still going strong after daily use. No issues at all.

Have been using norelco since I started shaving 36 years ago. The higher end models are made better which is true for just about anything. May be worth the investment.

I have used Norelco electric razors for years, head and face every day.

I've tried Norelco, Panasonic and Braun - I've ended up sticking with the Braun Series 9 for several years now. BUT with all of them, I follow up with a safety razor if I want a really close shave. So every two days, I will use the safety razor after the Braun. It's a swift and easy stroke with the safety razor after the electric.

As to the usb power cord - accept it. Everyone's doing it.

Darn!

You would have to say that! :ROFLMAO:

After checking the owners manuals from the Phillips Norelco web site, it looks like everything the series 7000 shavers and below have USB power to charge them. The 9000 series have the same 15 volt chargers they’ve had for a while.

Last edited:
I put WAY too much research into this decision about a year ago. Ended up with the top of the line Braun.

It works fine, but in no way, shape, or form is it as close a shave as a razor. I don't care what their marketing says. And if you go this route, get some after shave cream because you will have irritation from the electric razor in a vain attempt to get a truly close shave.

Best application is a quick touch up in the afternoon if you have something planned that evening.

Back