Captains Choice Tournament

Lukey719

Reaction score
Handicap
I've played in a lot of captains choice tournaments, but haven't won one ever! What ways do you guys play captains choice? Does anyone have a special order they like to follow or anything? Any tips are much appreciated :D

I've played in a lot of captains choice tournaments, but haven't won one ever! What ways do you guys play captains choice? Does anyone have a special order they like to follow or anything? Any tips are much appreciated :D

Honestly, it depends on the people I am playing with.
I play in 2 a year with my father and his work friends where I am the best golfer in the group. I tend to drive last and if no one has gotten a playable ball I will pull my 3w instead of my driver. One of the guys is a really good putter but doesn't do well under pressure. We let him go 3rd and I finish up. If he goes last he freezes and blocks the putt off to the right every time.

I also play in a charity event with some fraternity brother of mine where I am by no means the best golfer. The big driver likes to go last and it is pretty rare that we don't have a ball in the fairway before he tees off. If we are having a rough time off the tee I'll use a 3w exclusively just to make sure he has the pressure off of him and can launch without regret.

Basically it comes down to figuring out the strengths of each member of the group and putting them into a position to succeed. Who can handle the pressure of being the last to putt? Who can keep it in the fairway letting everyone else unleash? Who CANT be the last person to go because they crumble under pressure (put them 3rd).

Sweet thanks Gus. I am going to be the best golfer in my group today and I've had a lot of tournament experience so pressure doesn't get to me too bad most of the time. I do enjoy trying to hit the bomb :bomb: off the tee when there is a good safe ball in play.

Honestly, it depends on the people I am playing with.
I play in 2 a year with my father and his work friends where I am the best golfer in the group. I tend to drive last and if no one has gotten a playable ball I will pull my 3w instead of my driver. One of the guys is a really good putter but doesn't do well under pressure. We let him go 3rd and I finish up. If he goes last he freezes and blocks the putt off to the right every time.

I also play in a charity event with some fraternity brother of mine where I am by no means the best golfer. The big driver likes to go last and it is pretty rare that we don't have a ball in the fairway before he tees off. If we are having a rough time off the tee I'll use a 3w exclusively just to make sure he has the pressure off of him and can launch without regret.

Basically it comes down to figuring out the strengths of each member of the group and putting them into a position to succeed. Who can handle the pressure of being the last to putt? Who can keep it in the fairway letting everyone else unleash? Who CANT be the last person to go because they crumble under pressure (put them 3rd).

Good stuff Gus, we play in one where one player is much longer than the rest of us, and we actually have him go 1st, it takes all of the pressure off of him having to come through under pressure, if he does miss the fairway so bad we have to tee off, the next to tee off will hit 3 wood, and we continue to hit 3 wood until the fairway is hit, then the drivers come back out.

I play in quite a few of these a year, and typically with the same group of guys. We've won some and we've lost some but usually we finish in the top 5 or so. I think it's important to let the guy who's typically the straightest off the tee to go first, to at least get a ball out there. It's also beneficial to let the guy who can't handle pressure to go first. You'll want your best iron player to go last out of the fairway, that way, hopefully there's a ball on the green and he can pin hunt. Always let your 2nd best putter go first for the putt. You want someone who can give the rest of the guys a good read to go first. Too many times, I see the worst putter go first and that does no one any good. If you can give a bad putter a specific spot to aim for, sometimes they might roll one in. I have one simple rule for my group in a Captains choice format and it's this: Always at least hit a fairway and always at least hit the green. You do that, you'll put in a good showing.

Stack....stack..... Stack.... And stack your team!!!! :D

Good stuff Gus, we play in one where one player is much longer than the rest of us, and we actually have him go 1st, it takes all of the pressure off of him having to come through under pressure, if he does miss the fairway so bad we have to tee off, the next to tee off will hit 3 wood, and we continue to hit 3 wood until the fairway is hit, then the drivers come back out.

Now THAT is good stuff. There is more value in that than in everything that I wrote.

The other thing I thought of is you have to get a GIR. Bogey's are death in scramble. Have the first person aim at the middle of the green and once a ball is on then shoot for the flag. You don't want to rely on short game to save pars. Most amateurs are better putters than chippers so any chance you can have to putt for birdie, take it- even if it is 40 feet.

Edit: TC beat me to the other thought...

Eraser. Bring a big eraser.... (I kid- kinda.)

I play in quite a few of these a year, and typically with the same group of guys. We've won some and we've lost some but usually we finish in the top 5 or so. I think it's important to let the guy who's typically the straightest off the tee to go first, to at least get a ball out there. It's also beneficial to let the guy who can't handle pressure to go first. You'll want your best iron player to go last out of the fairway, that way, hopefully there's a ball on the green and he can pin hunt. Always let your 2nd best putter go first for the putt. You want someone who can give the rest of the guys a good read to go first. Too many times, I see the worst putter go first and that does no one any good. If you can give a bad putter a specific spot to aim for, sometimes they might roll one in. I have one simple rule for my group in a Captains choice format and it's this: Always at least hit a fairway and always at least hit the green. You do that, you'll put in a good showing.

Great info TC. The greens are where we always seem to struggle. My groups never seeem to be able to make those 10-15 footers that are necisary to win the tournaments. :banghead:

A woman.

Women almost always get to tee off from the ladies tee no matter how good they are. Find a female golfer who can hit their driver around 200+ yards consistently in the fairway and your group will be chipping onto most greens.

Aside from that find someone who is a good iron player, a good short game player, a good putter. If someone has a combination of skills, great. If not, try to have at least one person who is good at something.

Stack....stack..... Stack.... And stack your team!!!! :D

Yes that's obviously the best strategy :D
The tournament I'm playing later today has one team that is STACKED. 4 out of the 4 golfers are scratch and each of them can hit the ball at least 300 yards. It's not all about winning though, everything is for a good cause, but honestly who doesn't enjoy winning :D

Yes that's obviously the best strategy :D
The tournament I'm playing later today has one team that is STACKED. 4 out of the 4 golfers are scratch and each of them can hit the ball at least 300 yards. It's not all about winning though, everything is for a good cause, but honestly who doesn't enjoy winning :D

We play several CCT each year that my work pays for. It used to be where I had to play with owners or people that worked here at the plant and we didn't have a chance. The past 3 years or so I have become head person who decides who plays unless I'm told someone is playing on my team. We haven't finished worst than 3rd when I get to pick the team.

I just always invite littlepingman and he is money!! He just likes to get his $50-100 we win and enough free beer to make it worth taking a day off from work!! :D

So today was a ton of fun as I expected. I love captains choice tournaments :D
My team shot a 9 under 63 which was respectable. I loved hitting last like TC suggested and hitting the long ball.
I hit 5 balls over 300 yards :D

Back