Class action lawsuit settlements

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I’m sure that the majority of people constantly hear the class action lawsuit advertisements on the radio or receive spam emails or even snail mail about them. Most of them I ignore because I am either not eligible for them or The little amount I am going to get is not even worth my time to fill out the form.

However, there have been some good ones And I’m curious who else has had good experiences or surprise experiences with client action lawsuits. Please share your story I find it interesting.

The only reason I thought of this topic was a pfishing email I received today saying my SiriusXM subscription has been canceled And SiriusXM has been by far my most lucrative class action lawsuit settlement.

Here are the top three that I have received over the years.
  1. SiriusXM lifetime subscription - back in 2009, I signed up for the lifetime Sirius plan which cost me $399. I was well aware that this was only the life of the unit, not my lifetime. But when I did the math, I figured as long as I kept my truck, at least 42 months, I was better off paying for the lifetime subscription. Of course, there was a class action lawsuit brought on because the terms and conditions were in such small print and confusing that many people thought they were signing up for a lifetime subscription to SiriusXM for their lifetime. Now that it has been settled, anyone that signed up during a specific period and opted into the lawsuit gets SiriusXM’s top package (platinum, which is $24.99 per month now) including streaming for their lifetime. I only have to pay $35 each time I transfer it to a radio. Here I am, going on close to 15 years with a subscription that I paid $399 for. My guess is that this will have saved me upwards of $15,000 over the course of my lifetime on SiriusXM subscriptions. This assumes I live for another 30 years minimum.
  2. AppleCare refurbished class action lawsuit. I lost count on the number of times are replaced devices under the AppleCare plan. Early on, it was never specified that you would be receiving a refurbished unit and apple implied It would be a ”new“ unit. I never expected a new unit and it never bothered me but it bothered people that there was a class action lawsuit. About six months ago, I received anywhere from $40 of about $90 per device from this action lawsuit. And I have a more devices and I can count over the years. The check kept coming.
  3. During one of these security breach hacks where identity was stolen, I was offered a lifetime Experian, credit monitoring. What made this one unique is that it is not just the basic package where it gives you alerts but this is the one that they charge something like $20 a month for. I see everything that is on my credit report along with my official credit scores. I will never have to pay for a credit monitoring service or never have to pay for credit scores again.

Back