Clubs for Beginning Teenager

hschofield

Reaction score
Handicap
My 15 year old son is a lefty and just started playing this last summer. He has been fitted for stiff flex shafts and black dots in Ping irons. He is very athletic and has been playing competitive baseball his entire life. He has decided he is done with baseball and wants to get serious about golf. I couldn't keep him off the course all fall. He is currently hitting TaylorMade LCG irons with new TT GS75 shafts (traded out the bubble shafts for him).

Was wondering about upgrading him to newer clubs. I would like feedback from you guys on what to do. With him being a lefty there aren't alot of demo clubs around here for him to try. I can get him some Zing2's for $100 but wondered a few things: 1) would lessons be better than new clubs? 2) would more modern/newer clubs be better for him than the Zing2's or his current LCGs? 3) if they are then what clubs would you recommend I look into for him?

Please keep in mind that there aren't a lot of demo options for him.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I don't know how good he is, but I would go with lessons. I'm an 18 year old lefty and I started golfing seriously when I was 14, so I was in a similar predicament. I say with 100% confidence that he should take lessons. They helped me a ton. I got a new set (R9's) last fall when I turned 17. I would wait a while until after he takes some lessons, then get him a new set. That's my opinion, but do what you want. :D

I was 18/19 when i started, and i started with the Taylormade Burners and they were an amazing club too start with. I out grew them in a year and got the R11's but i also picked up the game alot quicker then the usual i just "got it" i guess. But I would suggest the Burner line you can get them at a great price especially if you get the Burner 1.0s and they will last for along time aswell!

Another question is how serious does he want to take golf. Getting lessons and fit is best before getting new clubs as another lefty I feel the pain of the lack of choice but if this is something he really wants he'll want lessons/someone to look at his swing first

I'm coming off my 15 year old summer, and I played Callaway X-12s for most of the year with reg. graphite shafts. Definitely get him steel shafts, and look into a TaylorMade or Callaway set from 2-3 years ago that will be cheap. I'm thinking Burner Plus or X-20. Good luck!

Pretty cool to see your boy take into golf like this. If the bug has truly hit him then I would get him some new sticks for sure. I wish I had some extra's, I'd try to help you out but I don't. What kind of iron are you wanting to get him? GI or GE or a player's iron? I really like the R11 irons but you could save a little dough and pick him up some R9 irons. They're nice b/c they offer a good bit of forgiveness but they look "cool" and I would imagine that's important to a teenager. I also think the stock KBS 90 shafts in stiff flex are good shafts.

I know Butters had a set or two of left handed clubs in the marketplace. Not sure what kind though.

Definitely go browse the used section at Golfsmith (if you have one near you). They have quite a few used clubs that people have traded in. You can pick decent clubs up at a good price usually. This might also give him a few more options to hit.

But I have to agree with Damaikis; I think money would be better spent on lessons unless he is in serious need of new clubs (length or damage/worn out).

My X-20's have been great for me. Very forgiving and you should be able to find a used set cheap. Also, Golf Town was selling brand new Cleveland TA7's for $250 last week!!! Also...lessons!

Thanks for everyone's reply. I think for now I will get him lessons first. I think the lessons will help him improve faster. I don't think the LCGs he is playing with are bad clubs for him. I just wondered if something more forgiving would help him faster.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I think for now I will get him lessons first. I think the lessons will help him improve faster. I don't think the LCGs he is playing with are bad clubs for him. I just wondered if something more forgiving would help him faster.
Callaway Preowned and Taylormade Preowned offer some good clubs at good prices. Also, whoever he takes lessons from perhaps can give you some suggestions. Good luck!

Being a 17 year old and starting golf a year ago, it sounds like you're describing me almost. It's scary how close the description of myself and your son are. For me, I was also fitted to stiff clubs and am also very athletic. He needs to realize he won't be shooting below 90 next week first and foremost. As teenagers, We (myself including) think we can move mountains. Golf is not easy, at all. It will take time. Your son is natuarally athletic though, which should help his improvement, alot. My suggestion is focus on buying him lessons WAYYYY before you focus on buying him clubs. He needs to have goals and incentives. This is my personal suggestion coming from someone who did this exact same route. Get the lessons and get him to practice 5 to 6 times a week. That first month, you will see how serious he really is. Either he'll get frustrated and quit or he'll push through it and keep working. If he quits, the clubs were pointless. I did just fine with a starter set of clubs, so I'm sure he'll survive. Also, make new clubs an incentive. Oh say, an example would be the first time he shoots 90, he gets a new driver. Stuff like that will push him to get better and improve. Lessons are a must and you should have him take one a week, no more and no less. I wish him luck. I like seeing people do the same thing I did.

Lessons for sure. I started golf 2 years ago and with lessons I'm breaking 80 on a regular basis. Try Golftec for lessons, great people and proven results.

I took group lessons at the local course one week when I was 11 and that's the only lessons I've ever had. Did nothing for me. Personally I have only met one "pro" in my life who has given me solid tips, most are clueless in my opinion. A starter lesson would not be a bad idea but honestly I find it works better to work out all the kinks yourself and talk to other golfers at the course and stuff.

Back