Consistency Problems

Chump Fries

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Handicap
Andy,

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I'm having some consistency issues. You can see what clubs I'm using below. Here's what's happening:
  • When I play a weak/neutral grip, I hit my woods/hybrids well but I overly fade my irons
  • When I play a neutral/strong grip, I hit my irons well but I overly pull/hook my hybrids
The strongish grip doesn't feel right on my woods/hybrids and the weakish grip doesn't allow my irons to be hit crisply. Any ideas/suggestions?

One other question for you, what is the optimal trajectory for ball flight? I'm curious if amateur players try to hit the ball too high.

If you need any more info, just let me know. Thanks for the help!

I have a question for you. If the 2 different grips are working at this stage is there any reason you wouldn't try to play with both? Just curious. In terms of optimal ball flight it is a little different for each player depending on different things like swing speed, back spin and the such.

A general answer for ball flight would be all clubs should peak at about the same height. What to watch for out there. IF you see your shots stepping up and floating you may have some issues. The other thing to watch is how they fall out of the sky. Are they coming down fairly flat, or do they drop straight down out of the sky? Neither are what we are looking for. IF you can provide me with some info on what you ball flight looks like we can get into some more specifics.

I could try to use both grips. I've just always heard one grip to rule them all, so that's why I thought I might have a plane issue or something.

When I don't shank a shot...

If I catch' the ball thin, then I get a low trajectory that really runs. When I make good contact, they tend to go pretty high and drop straight down.

As long as the grip remains the same in the irons and then in the woods you should be fine. I would love some video on your swing to get you some things to work on.

Back