Consistent contact with wedges.

Gamma

Reaction score
Handicap
My starter set did not really have wedges worth talking about. So, I just got myself a new set of wedges. The work great when I hit them right, but I m having trouble making consistent contact, I have had the gap wedge hitting the ball too high and falling short, and the lob wedge hitting it thin and sending it too far. I tend to get as many fat shots as thin shots.

I don't have this much trouble with my irons. Aren't wedges supposed to be easier to hit than mid and long irons?

What are some drills to get this dialed in? Thanks in advance, Andy!

The first thing that came to my mind with the shots you are talking about is I wonder if you have the correct bounce on your wedges for the way you swing. Bounce in my opinion is every bit as important as the loft and yardages of your wedges. That is a whole other subject.

To get contact back with the wedges start small and work big. Start with little 1/2 and 3/4 swings. Make sure your hands stay in front of the club head through the ball. Next wedges are about scoring and accuracy not distance. Try to keep your low body more quiet than you normally do. The quiet stable base will allow you to make better more solid contact.

Back