Cutting Steel Shaft only 1/2"?

KyleBob

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.8
I was fit for standard length in my Mizuno irons, however I find myself choking up all the time on full shots. I'm getting ready to put on new grips, so I figured I'd experiment and take 1/4" or maybe even 1/2" off.

Can anybody offer a good & affordable way to cut down my irons? I have a Circular Saw & a Jigsaw. I've heard that using a pipe cutter for such a short cut is not recommended.

I was fit for standard length in my Mizuno irons, however I find myself choking up all the time on full shots. I'm getting ready to put on new grips, so I figured I'd experiment and take 1/4" or maybe even 1/2" off.

Can anybody offer a good & affordable way to cut down my irons? I have a Circular Saw & a Jigsaw. I've heard that using a pipe cutter for such a short cut is not recommended.

I use a tube type cutter for all steel shafts no matter the length of the cutoff. I'd pass on the Circular & Jigsaw......unless you have good insurance.

sometimes i'll use a dremel for something like that

I use a tube type cutter for all steel shafts no matter the length of the cutoff. I'd pass on the Circular & Jigsaw......unless you have good insurance.

Thanks HoosierGolfer - I definitely wasn't going to experiment with my power saws without getting some good advice first!

image_17913.jpg

sometimes i'll use a dremel for something like that

Thanks, ddec - I've definitely been contemplating buying a Dremel b/c I could use it for so many things. I may have to pull the trigger on one.

a GOOD pipe cutter, truth.

A good hacksaw will work as well. I would just make sure you can secure it properly, in a vise would be the preferred way. If you do have access to a hacksaw and a vise a little trick I've learned is to position your cut line right up to the end of the vise so you can use it as a guide to ensure you get a nice straight cut. Once its cut if you have some sand paper you can just run it around it quick to get rid of any burrs that are present from the cutting.

If you do use a pipe cutter though don't try and cut it all in one turn of the cutter. You'll want to give it adequate pressure then turn it a few times and tighten again. Do that a few times till you cut all the way through it. If you try and cut it in one turn you're going to either dull the cutter and probably end up putting a kink in the shaft.

Just get a pipe cutter from Home Depot/Lowes. Easier to cut a straight edge rather than a dremel.

Dremel is easy stuff with a cutoff disc, just go steady and it's easy to cut straight.

What Fryt says is a good way.

I'll add this: Fine tooth blade.
And if you have a drill or drill press: Using two , 2x4's. Say, about 3" long. clamp the 2x4's together.
drill hole though middle to make a "shaft vise".
You will then use the 2x4 vise, and clamp it in the vise.
If you have no vise, then the 2x4 clamp you just made can be clamped to a bench with 2 c-clamps or similar. you could also drill two holes thrugh the 2x4 clamp, and through the bench and bolt it all to the bench.

A pipe cutter worked just fine for me when I cut my shafts down 1/2".

Back