Cypher vs MMT decision

jpetermann

Reaction score
Handicap
Gonna order some PXG irons. Not sure I will have time to get fitted before the sale ends. Trying to though. I have never played either of here shafts. I currently play recoil 460 in my Apex Pros. Any ideas on how either of these compare to he recoil? Is there very much difference in the Cypher and MMT in the lighter flexes?

Gonna order some PXG irons. Not sure I will have time to get fitted before the sale ends. Trying to though. I have never played either of here shafts. I currently play recoil 460 in my Apex Pros. Any ideas on how either of these compare to he recoil? Is there very much difference in the Cypher and MMT in the lighter flexes?
I have a swing speed with the driver around 100 and a quick transition. I got fitted for the MMT shafts this year (but didn't actually order the irons). I liked the shaft a lot and put it in my hybrid. If I was to order new irons today I would get the MMT shafts. I haven't tried Cypher though.

I’ve played MMT 85r in my Apex Pros this year and will be playing MMT 95s in TCBs this next season. Played Recoils the year before in Cobra Forged TECs. MMTs will launch a little lower(with the taper tips that I had). And being 100% honest, I think the Recoils felt slightly better but having different heads in each shaft, I can’t make that statement with full confidence.

No info on Cypher though

I have played Aerotech Steelfibre, Recoil Smacwrap, Recoils 95 and this year MMT 95’s. I like them all but for me the MMT’s were the best fit in terms of weight & flex. I am rather aggressive at impact and the stiffer tip in the MMT’s are the best of the 4 to me. I have never hit the Cypher but bring Project X I am sure it is high quality. Good luck with your choice.

I've played Recoil 95 F3 and MMT 85R Taper - the MMT offered a slightly lower flight, energy, and smoother feel. I am between regular and stiff and am glad I got the regular flex with a slightly heaver swing weight

The Recoils bring a lot of energy and a bit higher flight. Mizuno picks them as a stock graphite shaft and they seem to work well from my demos.

Recoil 460 is fairly light - haven't played it except in a hybrid a long time ago.

I just switched from Elevate 95 stiff to Cypher 50 5.0. I got better results from my fitting vs the MMTs. I don’t have real numbers from my range sessions but I “feel” I’m getting more club head speed and I see higher launch with my PXG 0211 DC irons. The Cyphers feel so smooth and stable. I have a slow deliberate swing but I feel like I can go after one with control. I will say I don’t see a carbon weave in the mid section like I’ve seen in pics online? Perhaps they don’t feature them in the iron shafts?

Last edited:
Love the MMT95S!

Love the MMT95S!
The MMT is a great shaft, but for those with slower swing speed in search of a lighter shaft and higher launch the Cypher should be on their list to try. I got better results in my fitting with them vs the MMT.

The MMT is a great shaft, but for those with slower swing speed in search of a lighter shaft and higher launch the Cypher should be on their list to try. I got better results in my fitting with them vs the MMT.

I am not a slow SS player and I have a very aggressive transition. The torque values of the MMTs are pretty insane for a graphite shaft. I don't usually like to post numbers, but here are some with an Apex 7i and the MMT95S. I had some issues while swinging it (me not the club), but it did VERY well. This session completely changed my mind about graphite iron shafts TBH.

I will say this though, I have not used a Cypher shaft to compare it against the MMT though. So YMMV with my post here on what is best for you. If you have the chance to use both at a fitting/demo studio. I would give them a go. I slept on graphite iron shafts, but no more!
20211104_173314.jpg

Last edited:
Back