Do You Like A Different Grip Size For Your Wedges?

tdinbr

Water hazards are tough!
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a spare 58 degree wedge with a mid size grip on it that I use to chip plastic golf balls in the back yard, along with my other wedges I normally play that have a standard size grip.

I'm starting to like the way the bigger grip keeps me from being too "handsy" in chip/pitch shots, but I haven't tried it out on the course yet. I have tried mid size grips on the last full set of irons I purchased, but it was a disaster, and I have gone back to standard size throughout the bag.

My question is - does anyone here use a bigger (or smaller) grip size on their wedges than for the rest of their irons? If so, care to share the benefits you feel they give?

Thanks!

Last edited:
So far, I have switched all grips to the same, Winn Dri-tac 2.0 Midsize so technically not a bigger step on the wedges.

That being said I am getting ready to try a JumboMax UltraLite Medium grip, maybe another wedge should get this and not the driver?

No. I like mid for everything. The only difference is on my woods and wedges I use round and on my irons I use align grips.

I'm a big fan of the [Iomic] Dylawedge grips that came on my Ping Glides. They're sort of a longer +4 type grip, with three markings on the grip to allow for consistent length of the grip. Basically, I got six different full swings from two wedges. My 54 gave me 85/75/65 yards, and my 58 gave me 65/55/45. I know it's not what you were asking, but I went with the same +2 wraps on these as my standard clubs. I will probably re-grip my new wedges with these.

NO, want the same grip on every club to it feels the same all the way thru the set. GP MC+4 throughout my set top to bottom. Only thing different is putter.

I also, want all my irons to feel the same all the way through wedges. I want the same grip and same size of grip just for a consistent, and confident feel no matter what iron I have in my hands.

I go with whatever the club comes with OEM.🤷‍♂️

I prefer same size for everything. If I pick up a club and it doesn’t feel the same it makes me start thinking about the grip and that’s the last thing I want to be doing.

I just switched all my grips to be the same. I like to have the same feel on all clubs.

I've grown so used to the less taper "Plus 4" style grips that they are especially now a need on my wedges with how often I choke down on them.

I started using midsize for my wedges last year. Eventually it lead to midsize in all my clubs. Now I use a different grip for my wedges and woods than I do for my irons. I don’t think it’s out of the ordinary. Wedges are all about feel and touch

I use the same grips on everything.

No, I have the same size across the board. .580 grip size on .600 butt shafts.

I have the same size MCC+4 on my wedges as I do on my irons, however, on my wedges, they do not have align, and they are installed logo down because the grip pattern makes more sense to me in that orientation.

Large grips push my hands open,and I have a big problem with leaving the clubface open as it is.

I love how oversize grips feel, but they're not for me. Except on putter.

Back