Do you use more than one shaft model in your iron set?

DougE

Titleist Loyalist
Reaction score
Handicap
We often use different shafts in our drivers, fairways and hybrids because we have different performance needs from each. Well, in my mind, I think many of us could use different performances from our irons too, yet nearly everyone seems to put one type of shaft in their entire set.

For me, I want precision from my wedges and short irons and like the feel of a stiffer, heavier shaft in those. However, being a bit older (60s), I appreciate a slightly lighter and softer feel with my long irons. So not only have I used a different model head in the past to make up a combo set (ie. Titleist AP2 PW-7i/AP3 6i-4i) I have also used a completely different shaft type in the 4i which worked perfectly for me. PW to 5i were AMT steel shafts with the 5i weighing in around 95g, the 4i had a Kuro Kage 85 graphite shaft. It felt wonderful and made a great transition up to my 21* 818H2 hybrid. (I've since added a Titleist U500 4 utility iron with a GD Tour AD UT 85 (+1/2", bent strong) to go along with my most recent T200 set, but plan to upgrade later this year, with a combo set of the new 2022 T100S/T200 irons.)

When I have been fit on a launch monitor for new irons in the past, I typically only get to hit a 6i which tells me very little, particularly since I like a firmer feel and have different expectations for my short irons, than I do for the longer ones. Like so many of you, I'm a tinkerer. I like to try different ideas on the course in real world/course situations, over a period of time. Though, I believe a launch monitor is certainly helpful in determining what shafts might work well for you, a few minutes on a range does not tell the whole story. So, once you have those shafts narrowed down, the only way to know for sure is to play them for awhile to see the reality.

For this new set of combo irons, I am considering using two different shaft types, yet to be determined. The T100s will likely have something a bit heavier and will probably have stiff flex steel shafts, while in the T200, I am thinking about the possibility of using a slightly lighter weight graphite in stiff or even steel in R flex, depending on how they each feel in the initial fitting. With a 95-97ish mph driver SS, I always seem to be right on the cusp of R or S. I play S in most of my shafts with no problem, but it really depends on the manufacturer and what they designate as THEIR stiff or regular.

So, do any of you guys play more than one shaft model in your everyday iron set and if so, what are your reasons and results?

The only difference I have on my irons is my 60 deg wedge has a heavier, softer shaft over the rest of my iron shafts. But its the same brand/model of shaft.

I have different shafts in my wedges but that is because the 780 recoils wouldn't fit so I got the 95's. Something about tip diameter.

My wedges are different and different wedges have different shafts. When I get fully happy with my iron shafts and my wedge heads I will probably make all the wedges have the same shafts which may be a bit heavier than my regular shafts.

i have the same shaft in my 5-pw. a different shaft in my gw. and different shafts in my 56 and 60. the gw is different because i bought it from a friend, and it's pretty similar to what i have in my irons so i just left it. the club works great for me, so no reason to mess with it.

No i have one continuous brand and series of shafts in my irons. I do however pla a different brand entrely of wedge shafts.

same shafts in my 4-P
same shafts in my 50, 54, and 58 wedges (different than 4-P)

5-9 is Modus 120S
PW, 50 and 58 are all wedge flex.

I have two wedges that I bought, matched my set but didn't have the same shafts. Typically, no they all match in my bag with my irons.

Same shafts on 5-AW. Same wedge shafts on my SW and LW.

Graphite 6-AW, steel in my SW.

Same shafts in the 4 - PW (Recoils 95) but steel DG 110's in the wedges. I like a more stout shaft in the wedges for control.

It sounds like you're a good fit for those AMT's with what you like, and they'll be available in the T100S/200 at least the white. Not sure about stock on Red S or Black R, which is sounds like you might be playing.

I love AMT's for their progression through the bag. I've played them a ton and I think they're brilliant, dispersion and precision in the short end and ability to get them up and out in the long end. I don't think the same effect could be cobbled together with different brands or models to good effect. I still have one set shafted with AMT White X100s, but I don't play them much. The shafts are a better match for me in the faster clubs.

With my current irons, I have the same shaft (Recoil 110s) 5 iron through 58 degree. My prior irons were Recoil 110 Protos 4-PW and Recoil 110s in my wedges.

I have 3 different shafts across the irons in my bag, but they are split as follows

Utility iron - Recoil 95 F4
Irons - Tour 105 X-flex
Wedges - DG S400

All my irons except the wedges have the same shaft. When I got fit for the Apex's last year, I went with the graphite shafts.
My wedges will be replaced next year, so I didn't see the need to reshaft them now.

KBS 80’s in the 5 & 6 irons, KBS Tour 90’s in the 7, 8, and 9 irons, KBS Tours in the PW and GW, and KBS 610 wedge in my 52 and 56. My 6 thru GW are one length, so shaft choice is for flighting, high for long irons, mid for mids, low for wedges.

Recoil ESX460 in my 4i (Driving Iron)
MMT 85 in my 5-PW irons
PX Catalyst 80 in my wedges

Yes.

Driving Iron is graphite then my wedge shafts different than the irons

S400 in my SW & LW and S300 AMT in my 4-GW so pretty much the same shaft although you can certainly say the AMT play different by the time you get to the 6 or 5 iron as they get progressively lighter with each club.

In my bag I have.
8 Nippon
3 project X
1 True Temper
1 KBS

different only by necessity. I have XP95's in my Callaway irons. After the third one broke in my 7 iron, I put in a FST Pro 115
Swing weighted it to MOI match the rest of the set and cut it so the flex was in step also.

Also had a six iron shaft break but found a cheap replacement on ebay. If any more break, they're getting replaced with the FST.
The only hard part is replacing the bore thru plug.

My wedges are part of the set.

Back