Does strengthening an irons loft increase offset?

BuffaloPlunger

2024 GolfTEC Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Currently gaming a set of P760s. Last summer I strengthened each clubs loft by 2° and it seems to have created more offset. It kind of makes sense because you’re moving the leading edge back when you strengthen. Is it actually creating more offset or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

my understanding is yes, bending strong will increase offset

my understanding is yes, bending strong will increase offset
Do you know if there is a conversion such as for every 1° offset changes by Xmm?

To me anyway, it would seem to depend on where the pivot point is. If it's the shaft being used to work the loft like everyone seems to do it, then yes. But if you were somehow able to bend the head with the shaft being stable instead, you could conceivably avoid adding offset. But I'm sure that is way harder to do, so more often than not, you get more offset.

To get proper verbiage, this is straight from R&D and design expert @vgolfman

Bounce and loft are 1 to 1. Offset isn’t mainly because offset is measured in inches/mm. Weakening lofts will lesson offset while and strengthening lofts will increase offset. But, it varies from club to club based in the par area (how high the iron is in the heel area), the leading edge curvature and a bunch of other small things. On average 1 degree of loft change will offset in the 0.010”-0.020” range. The offset tolerance on most clubs in not far off from that.

To get proper verbiage, this is straight from R&D and design expert @vgolfman

Bounce and loft are 1 to 1. Offset isn’t mainly because offset is measured in inches/mm. Weakening lofts will lesson offset while and strengthening lofts will increase offset. But, it varies from club to club based in the par area (how high the iron is in the heel area), the leading edge curvature and a bunch of other small things. On average 1 degree of loft change will offset in the 0.010”-0.020” range. The offset tolerance on most clubs in not far off from that.
I did say that. I really did.

Back