Driver RPM spin rate too high

clarky75

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was at the range today with my Garmin R10 and upon looking at my stats my driver spin rate is way too high. I am off next week to the Mizuno Lab to get a custom fit done, so I am sure I will learn more then, I have been told for my Swing Speed, I should be in a stiff or extra stiff driver, which I guess Mizuno will tell me next week.

Here are my stats, any idea why my spin rate is so high?

Driver - Taylor Made M2 10.5 degree regular shaft
Swing Speed - 106mph
RPM - 3879
Attack Angle -2.1 degrees
Launch Angle - 9.5
Longest drive was - 252 yards total distance, carry 239 yards

To low of a Angle of Attack needs to be on the upswing more which in return will help the launch a bit as well. Spin in large part is imparted by your strike on the ball in a downward motion.

Yes Angle Of Attack needs to be positive.

Is your path also out to in? As a glancing blow will generally open the face and also create more spin.

Where are you hitting the ball on the face? That launch, with your loft and attack angle make me think you are hitting it lower on the face, which increases spin. With that kind of swing speed, I'd be expecting a bit more carry, but the spin is killing that.

To low of a Angle of Attack needs to be on the upswing more which in return will help the launch a bit as well. Spin in large part is imparted by your strike on the ball in a downward motion.

This. Your equipment won't be able to get your driver spin down to an ideal level until you address this.

Thanks for the replies all, will get my golf pro to check out my driver strike next week and find out what is going on. I felt I was making good contact and getting a nice flight just not the distance I expected. Definitely something to look into, thanks all who have replied :)

Garmin calculates spin instead of tracking it if I remember correctly. Could be a bad readout.

Thanks for the replies all, will get my golf pro to check out my driver strike next week and find out what is going on. I felt I was making good contact and getting a nice flight just not the distance I expected. Definitely something to look into, thanks all who have replied :)

A good friend of mine is also a 2 handicap and has the same driver speed I do. I hit the ball quite a bit further than he does off the tee. His driver angle of attack is -2 to 4 degrees and mine is +5 to 7 ish consistently. My spin in 2,000-2,200 and his is consistently over 3,000, often over 3,500. I've got a Foresight launch monitor and sim set-up and we tried a good dozen different driver/shaft combos with him and several different golf balls. We saw some improvement, but it was negligible. The big gains always came in the few times he was able to alter his angle of attack.

He played college golf and is a very good ball striker. He has REALLY struggled altering his angle of attack with the driver. He basically gave up on it this season but was becoming more and more frustrated with me knocking it by him every weekend. He is planning to make it his main focus of the winter.

Back