Fantasy Golf Strategy/Discussion

rickterp

Reaction score
Handicap
17.1 GHIN
So I'm new to the fantasy golf game. I've been an avid fantasy football player; have dabbled in basketball, baseball and even NASCAR over the years. For me, here's what I've picked up on so far with the THP weekly salary cap league:

Winners rule the roost: Since each week is based off earnings, teams with a winner are obviously going to have a good week. Picking a winner is easier said than done. Kudos to everyone who had Bubba winning @ Riviera; I didn't think he'd even make the cut.

Form matters: I tend to find myself watching Euro tour early Saturday and Sunday mornings as I get ready to go to the gym or go play golf. If I hadn't, I would have no clue who Dubuisson, George Coetzee or a whole host of really good but not household name Euro tour players are. I won't say riding a hot hand is the ticket, but guys who are performing at a high level tend appear to be good values early in the season. I'm trying to work that in with a lot of my picks but only to a degree because...

Horses for courses: We hear all the time from pro's that some courses suit their eye. Well, they are much better at golf than I, so I tend to believe them. I haven't found a good statistical repository for this so I tend to believe whatever Golf Channel or other major golf publications are telling me as far as players track records are.

What are your fantasy golf keys and tips? obviously, without giving away your secret for dethroning OttawaGolf :alien:

I suck, no help

I'm a guesser, I have zero idea who's going to do what lol. If I was smart I'd be looking at past histories at courses and looking at stats.

I first look at how everyone is playing lately. Then I look into how they have done on the course in the past years.

Possibly check what the experts say, or vegas odds, however it's easy to overthink it so I'll get a handful of guys I like and go with the gut

I'm a guesser. Will consider who's hot and previous performance at course.

Certain courses I will pick Tiger no matter what, and other than that I pay attention to if it's a bombers course like Riviera or a tight course like Merion when making selections. I also like to put in whoever was the best putter from the last weekend if I can find those stats. So far this year I'm pooping the bed because I forgot to change my roster once after the first tournament.

I look at the top 5 or so from the past few years and look to see a trend of where they were similar. Like were they all near the top in driving distance, or GIRs, something like that. Than I'll take a look at how they have done at the course in the past and how they have done in the past few events. Then make a decision! Lol.

Guessing. Mainly looking at cuts/made cuts.

Doesn't help the totals when you gaff on making your choices for a week, forgetting that there was a tourney LOL.

I tend to listen to what the experts say for the week, however that just tends to be the top 10 in the tournament. So by all means I guess.

Last year I used to look at stats, and compare each player's game to the course, and look at their past stats at the course, etc. and that got me in like 108th place or something around there, so this year it's all just a guess. So far I have picked the winner and 2nd place guy from guessing, so that system seems to be working better haha.

I have zero strategy as well. I go down the list and think, "Sure, he sounds like a winner this week, I'll pick him."

This had pretty much been my strategy so far. Probably why I'm down so far in the standings.

I try and pick a couple guys who typically do well on the course they are playing. I usually stay away from guys who won the previous week. Other than that I just guess and I'm obviously terrible at it.

I tend NOT to play the player who won the previous week. How often do you see players repeat in a two week period (Tiger aside) ? Aside from that, I look at who's playing well. The winner is so hard to pick that I'm looking for consistent top 10 play. I was in first place after week 1 because I picked 4 of the top 10, and I think two more in the top 15 or 20. I've tried looking at some of the online "experts" but all they come up with is a bunch of picks that are really expensive (Sergio, Rory, Tiger, etc), and you quickly run out of money trying to fill your roster.

Just like Fantasy Football, it seems like "value" is the keyword. The way Tiger is playing right now for $600k is a bad value. Jason Day at $300k, however, is a good deal. How much do I spend to get $$ in return ? In football it's what round you pick, and in golf its what dollar amount you spend.

I look at who's playing well the previous few weeks and I look to see who played well at the tournament the past couple of years.
Not sure there's really any specific thing for me. This is my first year playing fantasy golf. I've always been a football, basketball
and hocky guy before. I'm putting it all on dumb luck for me.

Back