Finally broke 80!! Actually able to buy a better game.

Marengo

Reaction score
Handicap
I started playing about 15 years ago in college managing to play about once every month or so. Took off about 13 years and got bit by the golf bug again last summer. Since then, I have lowered my HC to about a 16 from a consistent 40. My previous best was a 12 over 83 but went out this weekend and shot a 7 over 78.

My problem has always stemmed from the tee box. When I first started, I could drive the ball fairly well. Hit it about 245 playing a slice. At least it was consistent. Took a lesson from a bad teacher who tried to change my swing to a more traditional swing instead of working with what I had. Ever since then, I couldnt get off the tee box. Had a wicked duck hook that would get about 10 feet off the ground and about 150 out.
I finally went last week to get fitted and learned a lot about my swing. I used to play a 10.5 supertri. The fitter said that there was absolutely no way I could hit that club with my current swing. Ended up buying a used Ping G15 with 13.5 loft. Kind of like a large 3 wood. Now I have about a 15 yard draw that is consistently around 260. Nice to know that this time it was the arrow and not the indian.
I cannot stress how much the fitting helped. I am going next week to do a iron fitting as well. cant wait to see how that one turns out.

Congrats man. That's fantastic

Congrats now you just have to do it again haha

Good playing, congratulations.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Congrats!

Nice! Congrats on your round!

And of course, all teachers are quacks. :D

I started playing about 15 years ago in college managing to play about once every month or so. Took off about 13 years and got bit by the golf bug again last summer. Since then, I have lowered my HC to about a 16 from a consistent 40. My previous best was a 12 over 83 but went out this weekend and shot a 7 over 78.

My problem has always stemmed from the tee box. When I first started, I could drive the ball fairly well. Hit it about 245 playing a slice. At least it was consistent. Took a lesson from a bad teacher who tried to change my swing to a more traditional swing instead of working with what I had. Ever since then, I couldnt get off the tee box. Had a wicked duck hook that would get about 10 feet off the ground and about 150 out.
I finally went last week to get fitted and learned a lot about my swing. I used to play a 10.5 supertri. The fitter said that there was absolutely no way I could hit that club with my current swing. Ended up buying a used Ping G15 with 13.5 loft. Kind of like a large 3 wood. Now I have about a 15 yard draw that is consistently around 260. Nice to know that this time it was the arrow and not the indian.
I cannot stress how much the fitting helped. I am going next week to do a iron fitting as well. cant wait to see how that one turns out.

Great to hear! Fittings are a must. Great to hear someone put a higher lofted driver in your hands and you checked the ego and stuck with it. Thousands of everyday players could benefit from some more loft, but the ego keeps them from it.

You are now part of the "higher loft and in the fairway" club. Welcome!

Great job! Hope to join the club soon.

Wtg and congrats I just broke it last week and and have done it 3 times in a row its a great feeling

Congrats Marengo!
Now that you are fitted, the scores should continue to improve.

Great to hear! Fittings are a must. Great to hear someone put a higher lofted driver in your hands and you checked the ego and stuck with it. Thousands of everyday players could benefit from some more loft, but the ego keeps them from it.

You are now part of the "higher loft and in the fairway" club. Welcome!

While I don't disagree that a higher lofted driver may benefit many people, I think that in golf there's a tendency to buy too quickly into trends and I sense that higher lofted drivers are becoming a trend.
I would say that the best thing someone could do would be to experiment with a variety of lofts and go with the one that best suits their needs whether that's a 13 degree driver or a 7 degree driver.

way to go my man!! now, go do it again ;)

TY

Congrats, the lower scores will just keep coming

That's awesome man, Congrats!!

Good work my friend! Cracking 80 is quite an accomplishment for sure! Now, you are addicted to shooting in the 70's!

Congrats man! Awesome!

Congrats with the fitting, glad to hear you have the right big stick in the bag. Now get those other clubs fitted.

Nice, I want to be in the 80s consistently!

Congrats on the milestone.

Great Accomplishment !!!!Now they will come more often

Back