Fitting Experience: Stiff vs Graphite Iron Shafts

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Just emailing back and forth with a friend of mine regarding a club fitting he recently experienced.

Was fitted for Ping irons with TFC senior flex shafts. When asking about graphite shafts, he was told something along the lines of "Unless you have shoulder or arm problems, it's not worth the extra money." Shortly thereafter he was told to have his lofts weakened in order to get the ball up in the air for added distance.

So I take it to you fellow THPers... What do you make of that? Based on some of the guys I've teed it up with and the new technology coming out I think it's very strange.

That seems odd to me. If he needed more height, they should have for him to higher-launching shafts regardless of material.

Any time decisions like that are made without any sort of proper testing, I think it's odd and completely stereotyping.

I would say strange indeed.

Bullfrog should be able to give us insight but he went the graphite route and beat down some people at the Morgan Cup. Not sure what his numbers looked like compared to steel, but the reasoning this guy gave seems off base.

Any time decisions like that are made without any sort of proper testing, I think it's odd and completely stereotyping.

Seems like a very biased fitter in my books as well..

I would say strange indeed.

Bullfrog should be able to give us insight but he went the graphite route and beat down some people at the Morgan Cup. Not sure what his numbers looked like compared to steel, but the reasoning this guy gave seems off base.

I hope he gets a chance to check this thread out because he was one of the first guys I thought of. Reducing lofts to add distance rather than considering the proper shaft is really strange to me.

Seems like a very biased fitter in my books as well..

I hope he gets a chance to check this thread out because he was one of the first guys I thought of. Reducing lofts to add distance rather than considering the proper shaft is really strange to me.

any chance this was done by a sales person at a big box retailer, no offense to them but sounds like an answer you would get at a few places around here

I hit Bullfrogs J40's and mine back to back and found the distances to be very similar. Only difference I could tell was the weight but it was just as stout and a terrific option if you are looking to get a lighter shaft. I say your friend is getting bad info.

I have the Cleveland Black irons with the C. Kua shafts and have never hit the ball farther than I am right now. My accuracy has never been better, it's still not great, but it's definitely on the upswing. I haven't this these vs. the comparable steel shafts but I'm mighty impressed with the graphite.

That seems pretty crazy. A lazy way out of explaining why you would, or would not, choose graphite.

I find this very weird. I think that's very stereotypical of someone to say that without doing any sort of fitting or anything. I would be getting a second opinion.

I am not surprised some people have a stigma about graphite and not all fitters have the customers best intrest in mind.

The primary reason I wouldn't play graphite is because I'm a student of the Shawn Clement teachings. In that swing, feeling the weight of the club is very important. Graphite is simply too light.

Depends on where I was getting the info from and what type of knowledge the person has. For example, If I just went in to GG or GS and was swinging some clubs and the 18 year old kid playing on his cell phone came over and told me I shouldnt be hitting graphite, I wouldnt care. If I went in and paid for a fitting or went to a GolfTec and had a fitting I would be more inclined to listen but not without asking questions and getting a good reason.

The primary reason I wouldn't play graphite is because I'm a student of the Shawn Clement teachings. In that swing, feeling the weight of the club is very important. Graphite is simply too light.

This I don't understand. I think the Program's can have a weight of 120 or 130 grams how heavy would someone want?

Back