Fixing outside to inside swingpath

Wongstongs

Reaction score
Handicap
I believe that is what the problem with my swing is called, where I am coming across the ball diagonally from the outside to the inside causing the ball to slice.

What types of drills are there to help correct this problem? I'm not sure where to start and any help or advice would be appreciated. I have tried moving my hips forward during the down swing and it seems to help a little bit, but not enough.

wongstongs - Where to start is the better question to be asking. There could be several reasons why you are swinging outside to in and if the root issue is not fixed then you will continue to struggle with that type of path. How do you know that you are coming across the ball the from outside to in?

As far as drills to work on again this will be hard as I don't know what your setup, backswings, or transition look like but here it goes:
1 - Low to High Drill - Start at a stopped position in the backswing and feel as though your hands are very LOW and around you. When you swing forward I want to you to feel as though you swing the club out to the right and feel HIGH in your finish. Take this feeling to the real swing.
2 - 3 Tee ReRoute - place a golf ball or tee about two fee behind the ball you are going to hit directly on your target line. Take another ball or tee and place this about 5 inches or so inside of your target line directly even with the other ball. As you go back, swing the club out over the first ball and when you come down try to swing it over the ball on the inside of the target.

Typically I do not like drills like this since I believe if you are having to work on an outside to in path there are other causes to the problem rooted in your setup or backswing. I hope that helps!

Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

The reason I think I am coming outside to in is that I can see the clubhead's path from outside to in when I actually swing, rather than along the swing path. It feels like however I try to swing the club I am getting in my own way, if that makes sense?
I will try and get a video of myself taking some swings at the range the next time I am up there.

Thanks for the reply!

Back