Buck

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been watching Hank haneys show, and something he seems to preach to all the participants is to really square the club up at impact almost to the point of flipping your wrists? Im wondering if this would help me since I seem to flat out push all my shots? Im a righty and 90% of my shots shoot off to the right?

I would rather invest in a lesson with a PGA pro to be honest. What Hank says might not work for you and might not be your issue. I have stopped reading all these tips on the internet and magazines, get YOUR swing checked don't try to sort problems out by sticking other things into it. In my opinion trying to run over and time the release is impossible, it should happen naturally.

This section is for the Ask the Pro.

"Flipping" is the OTHER F-word in golf.

Hank has a lot of great things to say, and in the right context, make a lot of sense. That being said, I disagree with anything that requires the hands to flip or help through impact to square the face. The real question is- why is it open in the first place?

For example, here is a checklist I'll go through if someone is leaving the ball out right. Its sounds a bit convoluted, but it's the series of questions that one must ask to see where the opening is occurring.

-is the grip sound? If so;
-is the takeaway square and not "rolling"? If so;
-do the hands hinge properly on the way back? If so;
-does the shaft stay on plane at the top (points down target line)? If so;
-is the transition still square and on plane? If so;
-is lag still present? If so;
-is the face still square half way down? If so;
-are the forearms properly releasing? (notice I said forearms- not wrists or hands)

So, without seeing the swing and being able to tick off that checklist for you, I'd say check two very important positions; your grip and the top.

Can you see two knuckles of your left hand from setup (without moving your head from it's normal address position)? If not, your left hand grip is probably too weak.

At the top, is the back your left wrist flat with the forearm (or very close)? If not, the cupping of your wrist helps open the face and in order to square up the face, you'll need some extra help (flipping for example) to hit it straight.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara, CA

Back