McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've always thought of Foresight launch monitors as the gold standard for accuracy.

But lately I've heard about a Foresight "boost" in the readout - particularly for high launch low spin strikes with woods - where the software calculates a carry that is higher than reality.

I'll post some pics of the screen readings from the Launch Pro below, but here's an example. Yesterday I wasn't swinging as well as I wanted to. The fastest swing speed I registered was 102mph, with ball speed 150mph. It was a slightly higher strike, so spin dropped to 1,824rpm and launch increased to 16.2*. For what it's worth my attack was 5.35* up and path 2.17* from the inside.

The pics below show carry at 271y. Now, as thrilled as I would be if that were true, I (and any other reasonable person) have my doubts haha. Even the FlightScope Trajectory Optimizer says these numbers would have only registered carry at 250y, which is more what I expect from myself on better strikes.

Is Foresight giving a bit of a vanity boost on these high launch/low spin strikes?

CAA3B135-6238-4B1F-885E-AFB12685D004.jpeg
03BD2AD0-D40F-4CCE-B159-1655264274C8.jpeg

I mean, you hit a high launching knuckleball essentially. It's certainly possible.

I mean, you hit a high launching knuckleball essentially. It's certainly possible.

i've just heard some chatter recently about these "boost" readings and was curious

i've just heard some chatter recently about these "boost" readings and was curious

I'm not sure how you could boost it from the device, it's not like there's a setting outside of adjusting for elevation. Even then, that setting takes a bit of work to putz around with. Taylormade preached about the whole 17/1700 when the SLDR came out. I mean, you did kinda just prove their point!

I'm not sure how you could boost it from the device, it's not like there's a setting outside of adjusting for elevation. Even then, that setting takes a bit of work to putz around with. Taylormade preached about the whole 17/1700 when the SLDR came out. I mean, you did kinda just prove their point!

haha yeah i'm the posterchild for tm lol

i didn't mean a boost setting, i just meant is the algorithm calculating something that doesn't jibe with reality?

haha yeah i'm the posterchild for tm lol

i didn't mean a boost setting, i just meant is the algorithm calculating something that doesn't jibe with reality?
That makes more sense, I was messing with my software wondering where this was and just how much fun that would be hahahaha

Could it just be the same as when you get a flier from the rough? I think I more calculate it personally as you found the max distance button and sent it. Wouldn't count on it all the time, but a high launching, low spinning knuckle ball like that? Would it shock you if that was a possibility? Go do it again and see what happens lol

That makes more sense, I was messing with my software wondering where this was and just how much fun that would be hahahaha

Could it just be the same as when you get a flier from the rough? I think I more calculate it personally as you found the max distance button and sent it. Wouldn't count on it all the time, but a high launching, low spinning knuckle ball like that? Would it shock you if that was a possibility? Go do it again and see what happens lol

the iron distances are absolutely bang on. i should laser some flags or other targets and see if these carry distances agree with lasered targets on these high/low shots (which is honestly the norm for me these days).

i actually have several of these types of numbers from recent sessions.
102 ss, 5.57 up, 3.75 from the inside, 153 ball, 13.8 launch, 1,976 spin, 267 carry
103 ss, 5.41 up, 1.81 from the inside, 152 ball, 15.8 launch, 2,220 spin, 268 carry
101 ss, 6.02 up, 3.11 from the inside, 151 ball, 14.6 launch, 2,042 spin, 268 carry

those were all from a couple weeks ago

Launch up, spin down...seems like the recipe for bombs to me.

the iron distances are absolutely bang on. i should laser some flags or other targets and see if these carry distances agree with lasered targets on these high/low shots (which is honestly the norm for me these days).

i actually have several of these types of numbers from recent sessions.
102 ss, 5.57 up, 3.75 from the inside, 153 ball, 13.8 launch, 1,976 spin, 267 carry
103 ss, 5.41 up, 1.81 from the inside, 152 ball, 15.8 launch, 2,220 spin, 268 carry
101 ss, 6.02 up, 3.11 from the inside, 151 ball, 14.6 launch, 2,042 spin, 268 carry

those were all from a couple weeks ago

Yeah man you’re just sending it with mid teens launch. How do you think I hit it so far lol

Back