Forest Fire Damage in Oregon

RecGolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
You probably remember the fires we had in the West in September. Outside of Salem, where I live, there is a lovely golf course, Elkhorn Valley, carved out of the Cascade Mountains forest in the area where there was a major fire. Two whole towns, Detroit and Mill City, were burned down. A friend of mine drove up there several days ago to see what was left. He took a few pictures of the course. You can see some burned trees, but the rest of it is unscathed. Not so for the clubhouse. Because of road closures and tree-fall hazards, authorities really don't want people going up there, so it will be next spring before I get to see if the course is back in business.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 1.12.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-24 at 1.12.24 PM.png

It is sad to see, but also realize it's Mother Natures way of taking care of things.

We really dodged a bullet here this year in CO, but I worry the Grand Lake course may have taken a hit on the other side of the mountains.

Was it ever determined what started those fires?
Not yet. It might have been embers from another fire blowing over into the canyon or downed power poles. Or something else. Officials haven't yet determined a cause.

Played that course several times, love it. Great course management layout....takes driver out of your hands on several par fours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back