G400 vs G700 irons

fistfullofbeer

Akshay ("Ak" + "Shay")
Reaction score
Handicap
20's
I have been reading up about these irons and am honestly not sure which categories they fall into. I realize that the G400 is more of a game improvement iron. Is the purpose of the G700 intended to make it a super game improvement iron?

Outside of that, I was wondering if any of the folks here have played and compared the two? If yes, would be great to have your guys opinions on the differences between the two.

I am kind of a Ping loyalist as far as irons go but refuse to game the G400's because of the looks. To me, the G700's on the other hand look pretty sharp.

I have been reading up about these irons and am honestly not sure which categories they fall into. I realize that the G400 is more of a game improvement iron. Is the purpose of the G700 intended to make it a super game improvement iron?

Outside of that, I was wondering if any of the folks here have played and compared the two? If yes, would be great to have your guys opinions on the differences between the two.

I am kind of a Ping loyalist as far as irons go but refuse to game the G400's because of the looks. To me, the G700's on the other hand look pretty sharp.

Seems like G700 is to compete with the P790. They look almost identical. I asked the classification question awhile back and learned something new. Nowadays there is no SGI and GI or PI (players). The lines are blurred with technological advancements

Sent from HTX

Seems like G700 is to compete with the P790. They look almost identical. I asked the classification question awhile back and learned something new. Nowadays there is no SGI and GI or PI (players). The lines are blurred with technological advancements

Sent from HTX

So basically they are both GI's and it really comes down to personal preference and fit?

So basically they are both GI's and it really comes down to personal preference and fit?

From my understanding yes. It’s all up to personal preference and opinion.

Many people will have different thoughts

Sent from HTX

The G700 is SGI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After hitting both yesterday I would say whatever you classify the G/G400 as then the same applies for the G700’s. The topline, face height and sole width are about even. The only difference is blade length. The G700 is longer than the 400. If I was ranking them I’d say the 700 is GI compared to clubs like the Big Bertha OS, Cleveland HB, Cobra King OS, Cobra FMax, Tour Edge HL3 which are more SGI. Just my humble opinion.

Golf Digest (fwiw) has the 700 as GI too and not SGI.

The comparison to the TM P790 is off. Design/Tech wise comparable but The 790 is more of a low to mid cap iron. Much smaller head than the 700.

Pinggolf.com says these are GI. This was the first time I've looked that them and the pics are great. I'm not in the market for irons but the G700 is something I'd like to hit. Really, really like the look of them.

Pinggolf.com says these are GI. This was the first time I've looked that them and the pics are great. I'm not in the market for irons but the G700 is something I'd like to hit. Really, really like the look of them.

Definitely a clean looking GI iron. The hydro pearl finish adds a nice touch.

I went to a Ping demo day Saturday to hit the i200 in graphite stiff Red(flat). Of course the Ping guy after some swings said try this, next thing I know I'm SMOKING the Ping G700 7 iron in graphite (Alta shaft) regular blue dot.

Now I'm all messed up, LOL. It was freezing out, on mats, and no launch monitor. I think I should go get a real Ping iron fitting. I have never swung an iron like this before but it's got me thinking I need help. SMOKED it.

I just posted this in the Ping G700 thread, but I didn't care for the G400 at all in looks and hitting it. Now the G700 wow, that was nice in looks and feel.

Back