Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
Last year I picked up some used clubs to refresh my bag. I had a 20 year old set of Palmer Axioms from Super K to replace. :) I'm a high handicapper so I know buying the latest and greatest is just throwing money away in some respects, and that's why I went with used and cheap. Some of the newer developments (at least from my perspective) in club technology focused on game improvement. The irons I picked up (right off THP!) were Wilson Di7s, and they were immediately MUCH more forgiving than my old Palmers. I also got a couple Hybrids on here, and found I liked THOSE a lot as well.

Now, about that driver. What I got last year was a TM R9 Supertri that was barely used. I got it from some guy on CL for $35. With the kind of unfortunate sidespin I often deploy, the Driver is often my most difficult stick to hit well. Are there "Game Improvement" level drivers out there to minimize things like side spin? If so, what are some examples, and what do they do? I figure there isn't a better place to ask than THP with its wide cross section of golfers at different skill levels.

There are drivers that are higher spinning and very forgiving across the face laterally.
There are drivers that are lower spinning and not as forgiving laterally (but might be top to bottom).

If you are experiencing a slice, you wont see too much difference with the driver you pick up from the SuperTri (which was quite forgiving). It is caused by the swing and if you fix that (not too difficult), many of the drivers will be more forgiving. Hope that helps.

Lessons will do more for fixing the side spin than any new club out there.

I agree with JB, the SuperTri is one of those drivers people still game because of its forgiveness and length. I would recommend fixing your slice, maybe a lesson, and giving it another try. If not and you want to go to something else, I just that the RBZ is now selling for $99 and that is as forgiving as a driving gets.

If you are looking for value, you can't go wrong with the amp cell.
Very forgiving and you can find a used one on ebay for under $85

There are drivers that are higher spinning and very forgiving across the face laterally.
There are drivers that are lower spinning and not as forgiving laterally (but might be top to bottom).

If you are experiencing a slice, you wont see too much difference with the driver you pick up from the SuperTri (which was quite forgiving). It is caused by the swing and if you fix that (not too difficult), many of the drivers will be more forgiving. Hope that helps.

To me this statement might be misleading to the OP. I gamed a super tri and for me it was a bad fit. I sliced it the worst out of all the drivers I have used in the last 3 years.
The Amp cell has been huge for me with helping tame my slice and it's forgiveness.

That doesn't mean the Amp Cell will work for the OP. But for my game the Amp Cell is A lot more forgiving than the Super tri.

Thanks all, I think maybe I more wanted to make sure I wasn't swinging some completely UNforgiving driver. I actually have a lesson scheduled for Tuesday next week at a Golf Galaxy near me. When he asks me what I want to do, I'll tell him 2 things - hit the ball straight and regularly break 100.

To me this statement might be misleading to the OP. I gamed a super tri and for me it was a bad fit. I sliced it the worst out of all the drivers I have used in the last 3 years.
The Amp cell has been huge for me with helping tame my slice and it's forgiveness.

That doesn't mean the Amp Cell will work for the OP. But for my game the Amp Cell is A lot more forgiving than the Super tri.

I wont get too scientific here, but I will say that the faces offer similar ball speeds, similar forgiveness and similar spin numbers. FWIW, I too, preferred the Amp Cell, but I have a feeling that you might be experiencing the sudden ball flight help due to getting better and a better fit. The club head might not be changing too much of that solely.

The SuperTri is a very capable driver it does spin higher than many current drivers but nothing but a swing fix will cure a bad slice a few lessons might be a better use of the money

I wont get too scientific here, but I will say that the faces offer similar ball speeds, similar forgiveness and similar spin numbers. FWIW, I too, preferred the Amp Cell, but I have a feeling that you might be experiencing the sudden ball flight help due to getting better and a better fit. The club head might not be changing too much of that solely.

That's true, I'm sure finding a good shaft fit has helped as well.

Find a Cleveland Black driver, it was a game changer for many. Cant hurt to give it a go.

I'll wait and see what the pro tells me on Tuesday. I've also never touched the adjustment stuff on the Supertri. Maybe there's something there that would help.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back