golf ball trajectory apex when hit by each golf club

nicedivot

strangers in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
5 - 10
hello all,

I have a general question about golf ball trajectory Apex when hit by different clubs.
Here is assumption.
1. using swing machine, say iron Byron
2. using 3 iron to PW from a set (does not matter what make but just from 1 set)
3. swing machine configured to swing at the same speed. Now this one I want you to understand well here. swing machine is configured to swing at same speed before any club is attached. This does NOT mean club head speed at impact is same for all club because each club is different length. So the swing speed at impact (the angular velocity/speed) will be increased as club gets longer. but the club head speed at impact increase will be consistent when you go to 9 iron, 8 iron, etc...
4. swing machine and club attached is configured so that each swing (or shall I say hit) will be consistent sweet spot hit.

Now the question based on above assumption is
Apex of golf ball when hit by PW same or about the same as when hit by 7 iron? when hit by 3 iron ?
*and yes, how far the golf ball travels to reach the apex is different depending on which club is used

hello all,

I have a general question about golf ball trajectory Apex when hit by different clubs.
Here is assumption.
2. using 3 iron to PW from a set (does not matter what make but just from 1 set)
3. swing machine configured to swing at the same speed. Now this one I want you to understand well here. swing machine is configured to swing at same speed before any club is attached. This does NOT mean club head speed at impact is same for all club because each club is different length. So the swing speed at impact (the angular velocity/speed) will be increased as club gets longer. but the club head speed at impact increase will be consistent when you go to 9 iron, 8 iron, etc...
4. swing machine and club attached is configured so that each swing (or shall I say hit) will be consistent sweet spot hit.

Apex of golf ball when hit by PW same or about the same as when hit by 7 iron? when hit by 3 iron ?
*and yes, how far the golf ball travels to reach the apex is different depending on which club is used

trackman_pga_vs_lpga_data.jpg

That chart is in yards for max apex, but you get the idea. The pros hit everything roughly the same height, with the apex just occurring further down range.

I'm no physicist, but I would think a 3-iron would have an apex which is much farther away from the start point, and a short iron would have one that's much closer. Just a guess though.

mward2002.. you killed the thread.. dam you... why did you kill the thread :banghead: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I'm no physicist, but I would think a 3-iron would have an apex which is much farther away from the start point, and a short iron would have one that's much closer. Just a guess though.
yes you are correct and the question was not about how far it has to travel to reach apex :)

mward2002.. you killed the thread.. dam you... why did you kill the thread :banghead: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bwahahaha take that, Trackman ftw!

Not another one of these threads :beat-up:

Apex is supposed to be the same for all clubs.

hello all,

Here is assumption.

Nicedivot,

Based on the conditions you have stated, each club "should" APEX at approximately the same height but at a different distance (obviously), in a vacuum where all things are equal. Loft, trajectory, spin and contact are all consistent and controlled.

I bet someone will find a variable to contradict this though...

Nicedivot,

Based on the conditions you have stated, each club "should" APEX at approximately the same height but at a different distance (obviously), in a vacuum where all things are equal. Loft, trajectory, spin and contact are all consistent and controlled.

I bet someone will find a variable to contradict this though...

If you are using the word 'consistent' in a sense that the trajectories gapped in a way that causes different distances with similar Apex's, then yes, that is correct.

Tapped out on my EVO 4G LTE

trackman_pga_vs_lpga_data.jpg

That chart is in yards for max apex, but you get the idea. The pros hit everything roughly the same height, with the apex just occurring further down range.

That's a great chart, thank for posting it Mike!

I remember the old pro Andy on here said all clubs should max out at about the same height.

I would think shaft choice could be a variable. I think with flighted shafts you would see different apexs but I'm not sure.

I only recently discovered this fact while testing clubs at a great golf shop in Christchurch, New Zealand. As soon as I was told it, having played the game for 20+ years it immediately made sense. I was at work today and was talking to 2 guys that play golf off very average handicaps. Neither of them believed what I'd told them and one went so far as to say, " If that was true then why doesn't everyine just use one club for the whole round". This comment blew me away and I think I peed a little cos I laughed so hard. even after showing them proof online they refused to believe it. I do live in a very small town and the locals are backwards to put it mildly, I'd go so far as to say that they still think it's magic when you flick a light switch and a light comes on :banghead:

Interesting thread: I'd just assumed that the higher lofted clubs would give a higher apex. It certainly looks that way on the course, but I suppose that's all down to perspective: a PW reaches the peak much closer to the player than a 5i, so it perhaps looks like the balls going higher.

MWard2002...killing threads since Nov 2010....hehe

Back