Golf in Portland area

DocTrussell

Reaction score
Handicap
~24
I am getting the pleasure of a business trip in June or July to Portland, OR and have 1 full day off and maybe an evening or two and wanted to get in a few rounds while I was there. I have been looking at a few courses around the area and would like some input on these, or if anybody knows of any other I should check out. I would like to stay under $50 with cart for 18. The courses I have looked at (in order of my preference from internet searching) are:

1. Mountain View
2. Oregon City
3. Heron Lakes-Greenback
4. Red Tail

You can see my handicap so not wanting a terribly difficult course, but would like it to be nice. Narrow fairways are not usually my friend.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you do play Heron Lakes, play Great Blue, I've played both, and enjoyed Great Blue much more.

Dan

I am getting the pleasure of a business trip in June or July to Portland, OR and have 1 full day off and maybe an evening or two and wanted to get in a few rounds while I was there. I have been looking at a few courses around the area and would like some input on these, or if anybody knows of any other I should check out. I would like to stay under $50 with cart for 18. The courses I have looked at (in order of my preference from internet searching) are:

1. Mountain View
2. Oregon City
3. Heron Lakes-Greenback
4. Red Tail

You can see my handicap so not wanting a terribly difficult course, but would like it to be nice. Narrow fairways are not usually my friend.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Portland. Here's my feedback.

1. Mountain View - It has been several years since I've been there but unless they've made substantial upgrades you don't want to play here. It is way out of town. They have (had) a par three with like a 60 foot drop where you have to hit off matts, no matter the time of year. Blah.

2. Oregon City - There are many many courses in this area and this is barely on my radar. I think that is telling. I honestly don't remember if I have played there so I can't say there is anything particularly good or bad about the course, but there are many other better option. If you need to be in this part of town Stone Creek is better, though I'm not 100% about rates fitting within your budget.

3. Heron Lakes/Greenback - This is an old school classic PNW muni course. It is usually in decent condition and usually gets a lot of play. It is worth playing but I wouldn't call it special or anything. It is in the NE section of town.

4. Red Tail - Closest to my home, I play here a lot. See comments about Heron Lakes/Greenback. It is in the SW section of town.

Honestly, if you were willing to make the drive all the way out to Mountain View I would strongly recommend Chehalem Glenn GC in Newberg. Still a drive but it is a much nicer course than anything you have listed. If you want to stay in town add EastMoreland GC to your list...basically it is another Red Tail/Heron Lakes type option but closest to downtown.

PM me if you want info about other things to do in Portland. My schedule is kind of nuts but if you have openings I' would be up for playing with you, as would all the other PDX THPrs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Just another reason I thoroughly enjoy being a part of THP.
A little bit of a drive would not be too bad on my arrival day (should get in before noon on a Monday and meeting won't start until Tuesday). Would like to be not much more than an hour drive fr PDX. As for the rest of the week, I will be staying at the Phoenix inn at the junction of I-5 and 217 so would need to not be too far from there, would probably only have time in the evening for 9 as I expect meetings to last until 5 or so.

Thanks for the replies. Just another reason I thoroughly enjoy being a part of THP.
A little bit of a drive would not be too bad on my arrival day (should get in before noon on a Monday and meeting won't start until Tuesday). Would like to be not much more than an hour drive fr PDX. As for the rest of the week, I will be staying at the Phoenix inn at the junction of I-5 and 217 so would need to not be too far from there, would probably only have time in the evening for 9 as I expect meetings to last until 5 or so.
You are welcome. The airport is at one end of town. Heron Lakes would be the closest. If you get on at Stone Creek it will be less than an hour drive from the airport. Chehalem Glenn will be pushing the hour limit, you probably won't want to do that drive after flying. Your hotel is a mile or two from my house. Red Tail will be your best chance for post work 9 - maybe 4 exits up 217 from your hotel - but beware that it can be muni-busy. Try to have a meal at Lake Oswego Grill, about 3 or 4 blocks from your hotel. I haven't eaten a full meal there but the appetizers are good and it can be nice to grab a table outside and enjoy the warm sun and a cold beverage.

Last edited:
I like the Greenback and have played it a couple times. Some holes that make you feel good about your game, but there are some holes on the back that require some precision. I've played it each of the last 2 summers and it was in nice shape. Lots of noise though...trains, planes, race cars it's got all the distractions. Redtail was fine, but nothing specific would keep me coming back. Langdon is a killer course and should be able to be had for ~$50 for a twilight time and it stays light out until very late up there in the summer.

tequila4kapp--Just got back from the Oswego Grill. Thanks for the heads up on that one, excellent food and great atmosphere and well within walking distance. I have to fly back in the morning but should be back around June 17. Will see if you or some other PDX THPers would be up for a round that day. I think Chehalem Glenn will be my choice for my first day 18. Thanks again for all of your input.

I am glad you enjoyed it. The wife, kids and I are flying down to So Cal on the 17th so I won't be able to join you, but you should be able to connect with other THPers, there are some really good ones in town. Enjoy Chehalem Glenn.

Back