Golfer/Tennis Elbow

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Any of you ever deal with golfer or tennis elbow? I've been struggling with it for over a year now. I took a solid 5 months off from really swinging a club, and sure enough after doing some testing in the last 10 days, it has flared up again. I've tried ice, have one of those arm straps that makes me look like Gronk, tens unit, and other stretches and I just can't seem to get that inflammation out of there. My BIL is an orthopedic surgeon and my sister is a PT, so I try to do what they tell me.

Picked up this thing today from Theraband called the Flexbar. I'm really hoping it helps me see some relief. I'm pretty sure the next step is some cortisone, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.

61exK-cGkHL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I;ve had some pain in my right elbow at odd times. Has yet to effect my golf swing. Feel it most the day after I play when I wake up after not moving it overnight. once I wake up, stretch it out and do somethings with it( get dressed, tie shoes, etc. ) I feel no pain whatsoever. Early stages I am guessing.

I had golfer's elbow in 2017 shortly after coming back to golf. Guess I played too much after not playing at all for a few years. Never had tennis elbow since I've never played tennis enough to talk about.

I had the same elbow problem a few years ago. I got one of those gyroscopic spinner balls and worked with it for a few weeks. It really helped.

i’m starting to think i have some of this going on. not fun.

Graphite shafts helped me during my struggles with it. For years now, I've been good about doing the specific stretches for both tennis and golf elbow and they do work.

I used both graphite shafts and the ProSoft inserts when I was trying to get past the golfer's elbow. I think I used the inserts more because I didn't care for the graphite. I guess they helped a little and they're fairly affordable so it was worth it.

I did an exercise where I held one arm in front of me, too my other hand and bent back my fingers and haaand at the wrist for 30 seconds, then bent the wrist downwards foor 30 secoond. Then changed hands. You can try a gyroball, which I diid. Stopped the pain eventually. But everyone reacts diifferently.

I also went to Nippon Steel iin a slightly lighter weight - 110 or so - that helped but only Nippon Steel helped. A less firm flex may help.

Eventually, I went to graphte shafts in 2007, but kept steel iin the wedges but only Nippon Steel Wedge Shafts. KBS steel still had it flare up once in a whiile. Since then, no issues.

Try various remedies 'tii you find what works. Good luck.

I've been looking for solutions for my tennis elbow so I'll definitely give these a go to help improve my grip strength, I've used TheraBand resistance bands before so I know these particular ones will be helpful. I also read something on a website that said treating and strengthening is not enough to avoid getting it again, do you have any tips on how I can improve the way I hold my racket or any changes I can make to my form.

I currently use the recommended way that they use when you're first taught but I think this might have caused my tennis elbow so I'm looking for any suggestions on things that may help

the twisting theraband was the only thing that I have found that has helped me. My problems historically start in march/april when spring hits and I go crazy hitting balls and more impactful to me which is casting a fishing rod.

At one point I had it so bad I couldn't pick up a glass of water. I switched to graphite shafts, along with using a Thera Band, and have been pain free since.

My wife had to have surgery for her Tennis Elbow (according to the Orthopedist Tennis and Golfer's are not the same, I think one was outer part of the elbow - tennis - what she had fixed, and inner (meaning closer to the body) which is golfer's - or something like that). She used the bands for PT and I did as well - but my PT was for Carpal Tunnel release).

Good luck hope you get past this - without surgery.

At one point I had it so bad I couldn't pick up a glass of water. I switched to graphite shafts, along with using a Thera Band, and have been pain free since.

Same here. I yelled out when I tried to lift my morning coffee which let me know things had gotten to the point where I needed to do something about it. I got an arm band, moved back to graphites, took roughly 3 months off, and did a lot of stretches and exercises. Two of my co-workers on my floor had both recently been diagnosed so I snagged their PT regimens and that helped alleviate most of the immediate pain. Knock on wood, I've been OK since. I'll get some tenderness but absolutely nothing like it was before.

Same here. I yelled out when I tried to lift my morning coffee which let me know things had gotten to the point where I needed to do something about it. I got an arm band, moved back to graphites, took roughly 3 months off, and did a lot of stretches and exercises. Two of my co-workers on my floor had both recently been diagnosed so I snagged their PT regimens and that helped alleviate most of the immediate pain. Knock on wood, I've been OK since. I'll get some tenderness but absolutely nothing like it was before.
Yes, it can be quite debilitating and as you said the recovery period can take a few months...I couldn't swing a club for three months either.

I had the 6th and 7th vertabre in my neck pinch my ulnar nerve which lit up my elbow and kept me from playing for over a year. Similat to tennis elbow in pain and where it occurred. Through all the doctors and physical therapy my best relief came from a good chiropractor who knocked out 75% of the discomfort after two visits. Another 2 months twice a week and it was gone. I go back occasionally for preventive measures.

Back