Grip weight questions

ccjimmy2001

2022 GOAT Cup Co-Champ (Team Tudor)
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Too high
It’s kind of a long story, but the short version is that I was just given an Autoflex driver shaft at no cost so I’m getting a new adaptor put in and am gonna try it out.

someone told me, “you may want to change your grip weight.” I never even considered that grip weight might have an impact on swing feel, but I guess that makes sense.

Any “grip weight experts” here? With this Autoflex, I presume I’ll be moving to a lighter and “bendier” shaft… so should I be considering a heavier or a lighter grip?

Attachments

• IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 6
Making the grip lighter will increase the feeling of weight in the head. Heavier just the opposite

What is right or wrong is in the eyes of the beholder

One thing to consider with an autoflex is the swing weight. I believe they recommend a D0 type light swing weight.

Ideally the driver head you’re pairing with it has removable, adjustable weights so you can play with the swing weight.

Lighter grip weight yields higher swing weight and vice versa. As a general rule, 5 grams of grip weight will impact swing weight by 1 point.

Lighter grip weight yields higher swing weight and vice versa. As a general rule, 5 grams of grip weight will impact swing weight by 1 point.
4 grams on the butt end of the shaft.

A lot of factors into this. Every 1/2” is worth 3 SW points in either direction, the 4grams in the butt end is 1 SW point as well a 2 grams in the head is 1 SW point, and finally the shaft weight is 9 grams for every SW point.

4 grams on the butt end of the shaft.

I think a lot of it has to do with how the weight is distributed throughout the grip also. A 4 gram counterweight inserted into the end of the butt of the shaft would certainly drop it a point. I have put on grips that were +/- about 10 grams and it barely moved the scale a point.

4g as about a sw has worked for me on many projects and I validate w a old sw scale

My old swing weight scale is manual from the 1990's when I tinkered with making clubs. Your digital scale makes it look much more precise :)
The friction in the fulcrum plays a role as well in regards to how well the manual SW machines work if they are multiple piece.

Swing weight is where you want to put your focus. The weight of a grip is but one factor in the swing weight—and not one of the more significant factors. Club head weight, shaft weight and shaft length are more significant variables.

Recently swapped out my grips on a set of irons.
Best grips undersized microperf 49g, Swing weight D1
Lamkin Sonar + standard size 54g, SW C9
So, it does make a difference.
I always really watched grip weight in my putters due to severe change in feel for me, but i didn't pay much attention to my other clubs. I will now.

I’m always laughing when someone goes from a stock 50g grip to a 6xg of a jumbo grip then tells me they don’t have as much feel. They have no idea they have reduced sw 3 points

Around 3 I start to notice. I don’t think I could detect 1 or 2

Back