Grounded "belly" putters; anyone using one and......

teed-off

Reaction score
Handicap
Are there many out on THP who use a grounded or "belly" putter, and if you do, what are you planning to do when the new rule comes into effect? I have never used one so I really can't comment on how easy/difficult it will be to change to the standard length or swap back and fourth between the two.

So, will you still play the long putter in casual rounds and switch to standard length for "competitive/handicapping" rounds?

Are there many out on THP who use a grounded or "belly" putter, and if you do, what are you planning to do when the new rule comes into effect? I have never used one so I really can't comment on how easy/difficult it will be to change to the standard length or swap back and fourth between the two.

So, will you still play the long putter in casual rounds and switch to standard length for "competitive/handicapping" rounds?

I've become a sidesaddle (face on) putter.

I asked one of my playing partners yesterday what he was going to do with his belly putter. He is 75 years old and he looked at me funny and said, not a damn thing! I'm taking this putter to the grave with me. Sounds like he is not to concerned about the rule change.

I asked one of my playing partners yesterday what he was going to do with his belly putter. He is 75 years old and he looked at me funny and said, not a damn thing! I'm taking this putter to the grave with me. Sounds like he is not to concerned about the rule change.
At 75 I just don't think he needs to be concerned. I'm on his side. Have fun old timer.

Not going to lie. I've never heard them called "grounded putters" before

I recently bought a belly putter to tinker with. Even if I make the switch when the rule change occurs, I think the belly power will give me the muscle memory to prevent the arm and wrist action that plagues my putting stroke. If I decide not to make the change then I'll probably just let it ride with the belly putter and not compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play with a couple of guys that are using belly putters and both have been playing lately with conventional length putters. Neither seem to really care. I don't think a club should be anchored to the body, but I also hate the USGA and the R&A for waiting sooooo long to address it. It's like kicking the dog for peeing on the rug five years ago.

I always wonder what the trigger is for finally deciding to change something that people have been discussing for so long. Was it Adam Scott and Keegan Bradley's success a couple of seasons ago? I'm off the camp that I'm not paying for money and it's not imperative that I carry a handicap so I'll enjoy the game with my non-conforming grooves and belly putter until I start playing for money and needing a handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a senior. I've neglected putting practice because, well, it makes my back sore after about 10 minutes. I can "gut it out" for about 20 minutes, but my form starts to suffer. I bought a 37" putter a year ago and it's still too short. So since no one wants the long putters anymore I picked up an Odyssey DART 48" from Callaway Used for $60 in "Like New" condition. I'll have it next week. I'll try side-saddle putting with it in the spring which is a semi-anchored stroke that does fit within the rules since I do play in a league.

The new rule IMO makes life more difficult for seniors at all levels. We're already losing distance. We're not as steady on the green as we were in our 20s - 40s. We have back and knee problems. And the stroke was ignored for 30 years until Adam Scott and a couple of others won a few tournaments using it. Then the USGA decided to take action.

But I have to ask why 90% of the golfers really care at all? 90% of golfers I've played with, including a couple teaching professionals fluff lies, don't hit provisional balls but instead drop a new ball in the general area of a lost ball with a +2 penalty, scoop a ball that's barely out of bounds back in bounds, and take 2' gimmes. Why would they really care about this rule in anything other than competitive golf? Most of us don't play competitive golf. By the time I get good enough to play competitive golf I'll be way too old to care. Life is short. Have fun.

Back