Gyro Swing (plane training aid) Review

All4's

Need. More. Eagles.
Reaction score
Handicap
I recently bought a SKLZ Gyro Swing after reading extremely positive reviews about it from SliceFixer (Geoff Jones) and several other teachers. These guys raved about how quickly the club got people feeling the proper angles and lines in the swing versus other training aids.

I thought I would share my experiences with fellow THP'ers.

CONCEPT

The wedge length, driver shaped club has a gyro scope that spins at 20,000 rpm in order to help promote the proper feel of the club tracing the plane line and squaring up properly. It also has a two tone black/yellow shaft that visually shows the clubs orientation to square and a see through grip with outlines for the proper grip.

USE

The club comes with a DVD that walks you through several different drills to promote feeling the club tracing the plane line and others for feeling proper release, including right hand only, left hand only, a type of waggle, pivot control, etc. I also read some drills that SliceFixer recommended and tried them as well.

RESULTS

It works exactly as advertised and makes it very easy to feel exactly where you may be pushing/pulling the club off plane for the plane tracing drills. The drills for sensing proper release worked like a charm as well and really helped promote keeping everything connected and not throwing the clubhead around. Using the club really promoted and helped establish proper synching, which lead to a smooth pivot driven release I had been trying to work on for some time with other drills/aids.

SUMMARY

I can definitely recommend this training aid. The feedback is so immediate and the faults causing it so recognizable. I found that I got the best results by swinging it for 1 minute, then hitting 10-15 balls, repeat. I also use it all the time inside to work on my swing.

Hope this was helpful!

I'm sure I missed things so fire away with questions!

Nice summary All4's. Thanks for sharing.

What was the price of it? I messed around with it last time I was at Geoff's...pretty weird feeling when its going crazy and turning on the way back lol. Maybe I should have played with it a little longer.

Just watched a video on this thing. So All4's, that motor more or less "forces" the swing onto plane? How strong is the "push"?

Marc, Amazon has it for $149 RH & $99 LH. A rare win for lefties.

The "push" is less keeping it online as much as it "dives" closed/open when you go offline. It basically twists almost instantly in your hands if you "flip it" on release or stall your pivot and let your arms race ahead.

There is a definite and noticeable resistance you feel when keeping it on plane as well. Very similar to the swingfan or whatever other air resistance swing aids you may have tried.

For me it worked best when progressing from waggles to "9 to 3" to full swings and then hit 10-15 balls and repeat. It really gets you in the groove.

There is also some help with rhythm due to the "push" you sense during the swing.

I got mine from Amazon.com too.

Thanks for the review...I had looked at this once before but wasnt sure about how well it would work.

For me and my buddies who have tried it, it has lived up to expectations and delivered on the results they claimed. It's the best SKLZ training aid I've bought by far and one of the better ones I've had overall.

I'm sure it somewhat depends on what you need help with but it helped me control my pivot driven release, stopped my buddy from flipping and stopped my co-worker from lifting on the backswing and turned his slice into a baby fade.

So it's got that going for it. Ha ha.

Last edited:
I wonder how this compares to the swing perfect? They look pretty similar but the swing perfect is cheaper and fits onto your own clubs.

They work quite a bit differently actually. The Swing Perfect "alerts" you if you go offline, while the GyroSwing promotes you staying on line and utilizing the proper release through tension and negative tension. I've never used the Swing Perfect and can't speak directly to it's efficacy.

Quick update and funny story.

At the range today I had a guy walk down to where I was way down at the end and ask what I was using. I told him and let him try it. He said it was a pretty impressive training aid and that he might order a half dozen or so of them.

I asked why a half dozen.

Turns out the guy is with EKU's PGA Golf Management program.

Pretty cool.

I bought the "Gyro Swing" a year ago and practiced with it daily. Unfortunately, the motor quit working after 2 months.

I loved it as a practice tool and believe it did an excellent job keeping me "On Plane". However, I believe it is cheaply manufactured and not capable of holding up to serious practice regiments.

If another manufacturer decides to produce a similar product with quality components, I will be the first customer in line!

I used it before I felt like I could cheat it by swinging harder and it did more harm then good for y swing.

Back