Handicap - Breaking 18

arwin

Reaction score
My handicap has been steadily decreasing over the years and I float around 17-18 now.
My buddy has been playing for years and he was able to bring his handicap down to 24 starting in 2016.
I wanted to give him a goal and a challenge for 2016 so I gave him a bet. If he brought his handicap lower than 18.0, I would pay him out at 3:1 odds on whatever we bet, otherwise, he pays me for failing his task. I bet him $20. So if I lose, I'll pay him $60, but if he doesn't do it he owes me $20. He's got to the end of the season to do it.

He's really been taking to the bet and played a lot more in 2016 and posting some really good scores, which is great! I love to see that.
Right now he's at exactly 18 and he's got 2 more rounds before a couple of scores that are really helping his handicap will drop off.

He's starting to get worried that those 2 scores are going to drop off his handicap and it'll start trending up again because of the lower scores being dropped off.
Now, he's starting to 'game' the system by thinking about which scores to post or not. He's going into the rounds and he knows what he needs to shoot in order to break 18.

His logic is that once he plays 2 balls, it's a practice round and it doesn't count. So his plan is to play as much of the round legitimately until he figures out that he won't be able to shoot that score. So if on #18, he gets to the tee box and he knows he can't post a good score, he'll play 2 balls off the tee to count it as a practice round. If he's in good shape, he'll just play the one ball and post the score.

What do you think? Is this cheating? or is this fair game?

I don't mind paying out on the bet if he actually breaks 18, but it's kind of dumb that he's reverting to this to do it!

Soooo, he's gaming the system to win the bet? The way he's going about it isn't exactly honest, and if I were you I wouldn't pay the bet. That's just me though.

Last edited:
That is the definition of cheating. Boo!

That is disgraceful and completely negates the entire point of even having a handicap.

No different than the sandbagger who adjusts his driver on #18 tee to make the round ineligible when he knows he's about to drop his handicap.

I think its cheating. Not only is he cheating you and the game but he is cheating himself

Yeah..that's just wrong. I would tell him to post all scores or the bet is off. If he wants to play 2 balls he would have to decide that before the round, not during.

Back