HOW TO Health It Up

Guys, this thread is not about how to take care of yourself. We have numerous for that.

This is about people that want to some healthy alternatives and someone that is an expert in the space @GolferGal assisting with some of their food favorites and offering some alternatives.

My wife and I have become very conscious about how much processed red meat we eat over the last few years. In dishes containing minced beef, we often substitute a proportion of it for cooked green lentils. Works great in chillis, lasagnes etc. We tend to do 50/50 but you could do any proportion you like.

@GolferGal: I’m working on a whole wheat pizza crust. Honey instead of sugar for the yeast, zero salt. Have you tried any alternative flour?

@JB: I’d ask for a bit of latitude, sitting in the ER with your wife is no f’n joke.

Here’s a tip. Increase acid levels and cayenne to make up for “taste” when using less salt.

Question for you @GolferGal : Saw @TRyan post above on dipping sauce. My main issue with these diets is I am a big condiment fan (ketchup, ranch, salad dressings). Do you have any go to condiment recipes? I have 10 days left in my keto January and looking for something to add taste to some foods.

@GolferGal: I’m working on a whole wheat pizza crust. Honey instead of sugar for the yeast, zero salt. Have you tried any alternative flour?

@JB: I’d ask for a bit of latitude, sitting in the ER with your wife is no f’n joke.

Here’s a tip. Increase acid levels and cayenne to make up for “taste” when using less salt.

I have used lots of different flours, but not in a pizza dough. What type of flour did you have in mind, I can do some research.

Love this! Eating healthier is something i need to do better on. I am not horrible, but definitely room for improvement. Going to definitely be following this and trying some things.

Proud to say that I ate heathy this entire week. I know the battle does not end today, but will continue.
Just happy that I was able to bounce back into the race after last week's pig out.

Question for you @GolferGal : Saw @TRyan post above on dipping sauce. My main issue with these diets is I am a big condiment fan (ketchup, ranch, salad dressings). Do you have any go to condiment recipes? I have 10 days left in my keto January and looking for something to add taste to some foods.

Not specifically recipes, outside of what I shared above, but these are my go-to store-bought condiments:
  • Sugar-Free Ketchup
  • Dijon Mustard
  • Zero Sugar BBQ Sauce
  • Hot Sauce

All of the above can add substantial flavor with very few calories.

This is using ingredients I would use, so it's a rough estimate and will change based on what someone else uses.

View attachment 9151805

With thing I will add. If you cook this over a pan of water to add steam and moister to the bake, you will get a smoother less curdled texture. I don't do that every time because I am not that picky but the end product is better that way.

@JB loves to add queso to things to add flavor and it fits well into keto. I really like the Bolthouse farms greek yogurt dressings, I use their ranch for dipping carrots. @TRyan had some great options as well. I also like salsa and taco sauce, I put that on a lot of things.

I have used lots of different flours, but not in a pizza dough. What type of flour did you have in mind, I can do some research.

So maybe something that might add a little different flavor. When I do banana pancakes I’ll usually go 1:2 wheat and AP and bump the baking powder a touch. 100% wheat in pancakes is pretty thin although still good. For the pizza crust I’m expecting it to be thin anyway, but figured I might tweak the yeast (active or instant) and monkey with an additional flour of sorts.

Basically want to recreate mushroom truffle pizza that doesn’t have 700 mg of sodium per serving.

This is one of my fav breakfast things.

personally I am always trying to add protein to my diet so I super charge this.

I start with this.2DBFFE43-BA95-494C-B67A-F57C59BBEC81.jpeg

I pretty much make to recipe. But instead of water I use almond milk.

then I add 3 eggs.
a scoop of vanilla protein powder.
About a table spoon or so of green yogurt.
Mix
Then instead of making pancakes I put it in a mug and microwave it. It makes kind of a soufflés.

Then I just put some sugar free syrup on top..

some times I will want some crunch and will add some granola of a brand I like.

this will surprisingly keep you feeling full for a very long time.
This typical makes what I consider two servings.E6A2F88E-784C-4A8F-B401-CAD87B87F943.jpegimage.jpg

This is one of my fav breakfast things.

personally I am always trying to add protein to my diet so I super charge this.

I start with this.View attachment 9151987

I pretty much make to recipe. But instead of water I use almond milk.

then I add 3 eggs.
a scoop of vanilla protein powder.
About a table spoon or so of green yogurt.
Mix
Then instead of making pancakes I put it in a mug and microwave it. It makes kind of a soufflés.

Then I just put some sugar free syrup on top..

some times I will want some crunch and will add some granola of a brand I like.

this will surprisingly keep you feeling full for a very long time.
This typical makes what I consider two servings.View attachment 9151991View attachment 9151992
Intriguing.
My issue with many of the monkfruit used as sweetener items is the artificial and almost cold aftertaste. Stevia is similar for me. Willing to try this one though.

Has anyone made anything good with almond flour?

@GolferGal did a bit of a twist on Saturday banana pancakes this morning. Used 2:1 wheat flour and ground oatmeal instead of AP, tripled the baking power and added an extra egg to the wet ingredients. I let it sit for about 25 minutes before adding the brown bananas. Nice and fluffy pancakes, delicious.

Back