Help! Ball flight too high...

deleebar

blargh
Reaction score
Handicap
I know what I'm doing, I'm flipping my hands a little, getting the club in front of the hands, resulting in high back spin numbers (says trackman). Ball goes straight but a mile high...anyone have any good drills our any aids to help me out? this is happening with my driver and irons. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Help! Ball flight too high...

Try working on hitting half swing punch shots keeping your hands in front of the ball on impact. Then work your way to full shots. Do this at a slow swing speed working your way up to your normal swing speed.

The key is to get you hitting down and through the ball. I would try to bury the knuckles of your left hand into the turf in front of the ball. This can't rally be done but the act of trying makes one hit down a pond through the ball. No more sky high ball flight. You may hit a few thin or fat but once you get the hang of it, you'll be all set

I'll definitely be trying this drill to work on my ball flight this year, thanks for the drill

drill I use is to "preset your self at impact".....in other words address the ball and then push the handle forward slightly and rock you back knee towards the front leg in a reverse K postion.....take little swings starting with just taking the club back to parrallel and then following through to parallel....you should be hitting down and compressing the ball.

Hit 10 shots and then take the club back to 3/4 and hit 15-20 balls.....then take a slow full swing....hit another 10-15 balls.

Then set up normal and take some half and 3/4 swings trying to get back into that impact postion...slowly work your way to full swings.

This helps me to feel the right impact position.

Hope it helps.

A swing thought that might help is to feel like you're driving the butt of the club toward the ball as you transition into the downswing.

You also should make sure that you're not falling back onto your back leg, reverse transitioning your weight. I've never seen you swing, of course, but in my experience most people I've seen who scoop at the ball like you describe do so at least partly to compensate for their weight transferring to their back foot. If you're falling back like that it's impossible to have the correct shaft attitude (slightly forward leaning, as you describe) at impact. Your weight and hands need to be driving through--and slightly ahead of--the ball at impact. Hope that helps!

I know what I'm doing, I'm flipping my hands a little, getting the club in front of the hands, resulting in high back spin numbers (says trackman). Ball goes straight but a mile high...anyone have any good drills our any aids to help me out? this is happening with my driver and irons. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like you're cupping your left wrist at impact. Try to maintain the wrist and strike the ball with the back of the hand. Here's a video that may help...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuNDoIRZilw

Attaining and Maintaining a flat left wrist though impact is a proven commonality amongst golf ...

Back