Help Please! Looking for Driver/club buying advice

davjol51

Reaction score
Handicap
TLDR: Looking for advice on on RBZ irons, ATV wedges, Jetspeed Fairways/Hybrid and G25/913D2/Bio Cell drivers. Have read all the relevant review threads but trying to get more info if possible!

My situation is somewhat annoying in respect to buying clubs so am looking for advice. I live in Egypt and cannot get clubs (also a lefty), and am considering buying some clubs online to be delivered to my home to pick up at xmas and was looking for any advice on the clubs I am considering. I'll be going to a local pro next week, hitting my current set up on a launch moniter and getting his advice as well, will update with swing speeds then and spin numbers then. Most people tell me I should be over 100mph for driver speed considering distances etc but I want to make sure. I am looking to replace my first ever set which was got on the cheap from a friend of a neighbour and off ebay.

Info on me, I have been playing a little over a year, and since the beginning of September have dropped my handicap from a 28 to a 14. I can shoot to and below my HC but also have poor rounds, eg. shot an 84 on Friday and a 98 on Saturday last week.

Irons; Currently gaming Ping Zing 2s; looking at RBZs 4-AW as they are on a really good deal and would be more forgiving than my current clubs. Deal also comes with 54 and 58 degree ATV wedges. Have hit these as a rental set at a club out here and like them generally, feel like I will get more height and stop out of most of the irons, liked that I could still move the ball both ways, but wasn't a big fan of the 4 iron due to its legnth. They are chunky but I am used to my Pings which I have seen described as one of the ugliest irons ever.

Fairway/Hybrid: Currenly gaming Callaway Diablo Edge 3 wood and 21 degree hybrid. Not a huge fan of the 3 wood, struggle getting height out of it, more due to swing than the club, working on it. Like the hybrid alot although it gets very spinny and I am worried that the 4 iron is 20 degree, can't see a big distance gap. Considering the Jetspeed 3 wood and 19 degree hybrid or maybe the Adams pro in 18 degree.

Driver: Currently gaming the Callaway Diablo Octane Black, 10.5 degree, stock stiff shaft. Struggle from high balooning flight with little roll at times. In some conditions very common to find my drive next to its pitch mark with a clump of mud on. Feels like it is too spinny. Considering the Ping G25, Cobra Bio Cell, or 913D2. Trying to work out shaft hopefully with the fitter. May think about an upgrade to the G30. From reviews sounds like the G25 may be the most forgiving. I am hoping for soem feedback from people who have hit all three? Advantage of bio cell/913D2 is more adjustability to use to fit once I bring it back home and can go on a LM with it. All have options with the stock shaft, with the Ping having options for both the normal and tour shaft.

Anyone who made it to the end of this wall of text (was longer than planned!) thanks and thanks in advance for any advice. Just trying to get some ideas in my head before spending quite a large lump of cash for something I haven't hit before!

Are you buying new equipment for a particular purpose (more forgiving, more workability, raise/lower ball flight, etc.) or just interested in having newer stuff?

What type of deal are you getting on the RBZ irons? I think there are much better sets out there for the money

I'd get the driver you can sell for the most in case you don't like it and have no way to demo it. Adjustability would be a great idea too just in case. I vote 913 since you'll basically have to pay somebody to take the Bio Cell.

As for irons, if the price is good I'm sure they'll offer some added forgiveness and distance.

If you have issues with fairway wood height, maybe a HL 3w, a 4w, or a 5w is a better option for you.

tequila4kapp
Are you buying new equipment for a particular purpose (more forgiving, more workability, raise/lower ball flight, etc.) or just interested in having newer stuff?​

More forgiving irons with a higher ball flight for better stop on greens as the greens are always hard and fast. Hoping for better performance on my typical miss; bottom groove that turns into a thin. Driver I want better distance through less spin/better flight/more roll.

jlukes
What type of deal are you getting on the RBZ irons? I think there are much better sets out there for the money​
310 GBP for the 4-AW including the two ATV wedges. Other options I can find for similar are WS D100 4-PW for 300 (so minus the AW, SW, LW) but can't find much else in stiff for left hand at that price at all.

I'd get the driver you can sell for the most in case you don't like it and have no way to demo it. Adjustability would be a great idea too just in case. I vote 913 since you'll basically have to pay somebody to take the Bio Cell.

As for irons, if the price is good I'm sure they'll offer some added forgiveness and distance.

If you have issues with fairway wood height, maybe a HL 3w, a 4w, or a 5w is a better option for you.

I am kind of swaying for the 913 for the reasons you said but just have heard amazing things about the g25 so wasn't sure.

For fairways, hoping to fix my issue with lessons as I hit the hybrid well so should hit the fairway ok as well! Would think about getting a lower lofted 16 degree hybrid maybe instead. Other issue with left hand and trying to buy on the internet there aren't many 3hl of 4woods available. They do have an Adams tight lies in 16 degree which might be a better option?

Thanks for the replies :D

I think if you have trouble elevating a fairway wood a hybrid will be even worse. Weighting in the fairway wood should promote a higher ball. Most people find low lofted hybrids pretty difficult to work with. Everybody is different though.

Tight Lies could potentially be a great choice. It's going to probably be a little shorter than a perfectly struck shot off some of the harder to hit fairway woods, but I imagine the height and playability will be better.

I think if you have trouble elevating a fairway wood a hybrid will be even worse. Weighting in the fairway wood should promote a higher ball. Most people find low lofted hybrids pretty difficult to work with. Everybody is different though.

Tight Lies could potentially be a great choice. It's going to probably be a little shorter than a perfectly struck shot off some of the harder to hit fairway woods, but I imagine the height and playability will be better.

I don't understand it either! Think it may be a mental thing, getting better since someone else told me a similar thing and I try and think of it as a longer hybrid and keep the same swing. 4 wood does look interesting and the review on here gives some really nice thoughts about it. Would mostly be looking at it to get me onto par 5s in two. Considering maybe even dropping a hybrid and taking the Apex UT DI instead as I take 3 iron of the tee quite a bit, only stopped quite so much as the hybrid gives me a few more yards and its not as windy here at this time of year as normal. Not sure if it is too good a club for me though! Thanks for the thoughts, booked a lesson on the LM next Tuesday so will update with spin, launch, distance numbers etc then.

Thanks Hawk for the replies some very useful thoughts!

Back