Helping a Friend Chose Clubs

Badass

Reaction score
Handicap
I just started golfing with a friend’s fiancé this year and we have been out about 5 times. He is at a similar skill level to me (shooting in the 100 – 120 range), and he is in desperate need of new clubs. He is currently using a set that was apparently inherited by his grandfather, and until our last round, he thought there would be limited gain in using a new set of clubs. On out last round the shaft on his 3 iron snapped off just above the head mid swing sending the head about 50 yards down the fairway. After this, he admitted he could really need a new set.

His fiancé is asking me to recommend a set of irons that she can buy online for his birthday that is coming up next month. He is just starting to get serious about golf this year, intends to keep playing quite a bit, and thus is not interested in a cheap beginner set (such as a $300 club and bag combo set). Although, buying a something that is a couple years old at a significant discount rather than the “latest and greatest” would be a great option. I thought a great present would be a full iron set (4 or 5 to SW) and leaving him to upgrade his putter, driver, hybrids, etc over time. His fiancé has a budget that would max out at $500.

Although I spend a lot of my time on the forum, I don’t think I know enough to make an educated recommendation for him. I am hoping I could get some input from you guys on what would be a good recommendation. The best thing that I have found so far is a Burner 2.0 (4-PW with AW) set for $399 at Golfsmith:

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30...ner-2-0-hp-4-pw-aw-iron-set-with-steel-shafts

Any suggestions?

The Burner 2's are great sets, havent played the high polish version, but I love my black finish set. She could do much worse I can tell you that.

Burner 2.0's are great irons. CG16s can be found for deals as well and they are pretty forgiving. You may also want to check out callawaypreowned.com. I've heard some good things about that site, and there's a large selection there.

Also make sure that you get him into the proper flex shaft, or as close as you can. Makes a big difference IMO. I know people who play stiff because they think they're supposed to that could benefit from a softer flex.

I just started golfing with a friend’s fiancé this year and we have been out about 5 times. He is at a similar skill level to me (shooting in the 100 – 120 range), and he is in desperate need of new clubs. He is currently using a set that was apparently inherited by his grandfather, and until our last round, he thought there would be limited gain in using a new set of clubs. On out last round the shaft on his 3 iron snapped off just above the head mid swing sending the head about 50 yards down the fairway. After this, he admitted he could really need a new set.

His fiancé is asking me to recommend a set of irons that she can buy online for his birthday that is coming up next month. He is just starting to get serious about golf this year, intends to keep playing quite a bit, and thus is not interested in a cheap beginner set (such as a $300 club and bag combo set). Although, buying a something that is a couple years old at a significant discount rather than the “latest and greatest” would be a great option. I thought a great present would be a full iron set (4 or 5 to SW) and leaving him to upgrade his putter, driver, hybrids, etc over time. His fiancé has a budget that would max out at $500.

Although I spend a lot of my time on the forum, I don’t think I know enough to make an educated recommendation for him. I am hoping I could get some input from you guys on what would be a good recommendation. The best thing that I have found so far is a Burner 2.0 (4-PW with AW) set for $399 at Golfsmith:

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30...ner-2-0-hp-4-pw-aw-iron-set-with-steel-shafts

Any suggestions?

That's a really good set and for the money it's really worth it! I am actually considering getting the 2.0s myself since they are so great for the price! They also have a 3h,4h, 5-pw+aw for $100 more, it's a great set!

You could also get a good deal on Callaway X-22's. Very forgiving.

Cobra S2. You can get these very cheap right now 300$ and they are great. I love the stock shaft and they are more forgiving than the burner 2s.

That's a really good set and for the money it's really worth it! I am actually considering getting the 2.0s myself since they are so great for the price! They also have a 3h,4h, 5-pw+aw for $100 more, it's a great set!

That is a very great set and with all of the extras for another $100 I don't think you will find a much better deal than that.

Am I the only one to think that it's a better idea for her to give him a $500 gift card? Buying clubs for someone else is akin to buying shoes... they all work the same but everyone has their own style and tastes...

Am I the only one to think that it's a better idea for her to give him a $500 gift card? Buying clubs for someone else is akin to buying shoes... they all work the same but everyone has their own style and tastes...

Now that is a great thing to do, that way he can get fitted for the proper loft, lie and length for his game, I really think this is more important since he'll probably hit them better than stock!

I have been playing about 18 years now. I am a recreational golfer, play with co-workers after work, hardly ever play more than 9 holes at a time. I usually shoot between 45-52 per nine. I recently purchased Wilson Staff Di11 irons, and all I can say is wow. I can honestly say that they will shave 3 strokes off of my 9 holes. I was playing with the copper Ping Eye 2's, unreal difference for me, and they are affordable.

I have been playing about 18 years now. I am a recreational golfer, play with co-workers after work, hardly ever play more than 9 holes at a time. I usually shoot between 45-52 per nine. I recently purchased Wilson Staff Di11 irons, and all I can say is wow. I can honestly say that they will shave 3 strokes off of my 9 holes. I was playing with the copper Ping Eye 2's, unreal difference for me, and they are affordable.
This, and the Ci11's can both be had for well under $500.

I was at your skill level and started off with the Nike VR Full Cavity Irons for $250 new from Sports Authority. There is also the new Nike VR Pro Cavity irons for $350 online and even cheaper used.

You could also check out Diamond Tour Golf. They make "knock-off" clubs that you get custom made with shaft length, grip, grip size, and lie. They have some pretty cool stuff there and you could get a set of irons, a driver, and a fairway wood for less than $500. I have a set of their Grand Hawk XR irons (Callaway RAZR X knock-offs) and Turner T13 Driver and 3-Wood (TaylorMade R11 knock-offs) that I love. Got everything made and shipped for $300. Not a bad way to go for someone starting out. (Not trying to start an OEM vs. Knock-off debate, just throwing the option out there for the budget)

Update: Now that I have the right amount of posts I can provide a link
http://www.diamondtourgolf.com

Last edited:
Thanks for all the ideas guys! We had been looking at the 2.0 combo set as well. I agree for $100 getting two hybrids is a great upgrade from the $399 set. I suggested she take him to Golf Town to check out some sets and maybe hit a few balls to make sure he is happy with the purchase. I like the idea of the Wilsons as well as they have been getting pretty good reviews on THP and don't seem that expensive.

I'm in a similar situation and have been looking for a new set. Those Burners look great. Might go to Golfsmith and try them out.

I'm in a similar situation and have been looking for a new set. Those Burners look great. Might go to Golfsmith and try them out.

You won't be disappointed call me bias but I love the performance of the burners!

Don't forget to convince him to get fitted for whatever clubs he purchases!

if he's just starting, a static fitting would be plenty fine.. his swing is not repeatable and a full deal fitting is probably over the top at this point

If he's typical size, (not super tall, not super short), I'd say just get some cheap, quality clubs from somewhere like callawaypreowned.com

a guy shooting 100-120 isn't needing to worry about hitting DG shafts instead of KBS, or 1 degree flat vs 1 degree upright... he's needing to worry about making solid contact

standard spec clubs and some lessons are a great place to start for the vast majority of guys.

if he's just starting, a static fitting would be plenty fine.. his swing is not repeatable and a full deal fitting is probably over the top at this point

If he's typical size, (not super tall, not super short), I'd say just get some cheap, quality clubs from somewhere like callawaypreowned.com

a guy shooting 100-120 isn't needing to worry about hitting DG shafts instead of KBS, or 1 degree flat vs 1 degree upright... he's needing to worry about making solid contact

standard spec clubs and some lessons are a great place to start for the vast majority of guys.

Yeah now that I think of it, I heave heard from some of the club pros that some people should wait to get fitted if thy are relatively new to the game since their core swing is changing so much, in a few months their swing could be different enough that a fitting wouldn't be too beneficial.

yeah, standard is the way to go at the beginning as long as it's within reason

stuff like a guy's height won't change.. so you won't want to suggest standard irons to a guy who's 6'5" or 5'4"
but they make the standard stuff to fit standard people, so a lot of people even after a proper fitting are going to end up with specs that are pretty close to standard

the amount of money it'd cost to lengthen or shorten a set by 1/4" or bend lie angles would be better spent on a lesson

yeah, standard is the way to go at the beginning as long as it's within reason

stuff like a guy's height won't change.. so you won't want to suggest standard irons to a guy who's 6'5" or 5'4"
but they make the standard stuff to fit standard people, so a lot of people even after a proper fitting are going to end up with specs that are pretty close to standard

the amount of money it'd cost to lengthen or shorten a set by 1/4" or bend lie angles would be better spent on a lesson

Yeah that's true about guys who are way taller, my brother had that problem, he's 6'2 hah , some places though will adjust the lie for free if they bought the clubs there though.

Back