Hip rotation in backswing?

TxAggie2018

Reaction score
I've been watching some videos on hip action in the golf swing, and I THINK what's supposed to happen is

-belt buckle faces towards ball at address (let's assume it's centered like a short iron).
-belt buckle faces ball for as long as possible, turning a little trail-side reactively but staying pretty still.
-belt buckle fires through on downswing and just keeps on turning towards the flag.

So the shoulders turn pretty symmetrically in the golf swing - down and back, then up and forward, with about equal rotation. But the hips are lop-sided. Small turn in the backswing, much larger turn through in the downswing.

Is that correct? Or am I missing something.

Last edited:
Your description of the hip swing is a golf swing with early extension. The hip swing of the expert right handed golfer has the left hip acting as the (door) hinge while the right hip turns behind with the weight pressure moving to the right heel during the backswing. Transition to the downswing has the right hip becoming the door hinge as the left hip rotates back to the left with the weight pressure now on both heels . The second half of the downswing has both hips rotating to the left to complete the hip swing.
The forward swing takes about 2/5 of a second to complete so it is easy for the spectator to miss how it actually works.

I saw a video recently that said to rotate my right hip (right handed golfer) at the top of the backswing to where my belt buckle was at address and actually shifting the weight to the inside of my left foot at that point. That swing though sounded wierd but helped me a lot. I’ll see if I can find the video

I see more instruction talk about using hip turn in the back swing, but if you look at someone like Fred Couples, he has very little if any noticeable right hip turn in the back swing.

That was a great video.

That video was awesome.

I see more instruction talk about using hip turn in the back swing, but if you look at someone like Fred Couples, he has very little if any noticeable right hip turn in the back swing.
True always loved Freddie’s swing. Wonder if his limited hip turn in backswing is what lead to some of his back issues.

imho, it's fine to let the hips rotate away from the ball in the backswing. in fact, i'd say it's necessary for the vast majority of ams due to mobility, balance and strength limitations. trail hip depth at the top of the backswing is critical. as far as the through-swing, i'm not sure that focusing on hip movement is a good idea.

I was watching school of golf recently where they said swing like you have no lower body. Use all upper body and let the lower body naturally move.

Also, to quote Shakira, hips don't lie.

This was a great vid on something I'm working on personally! Thanks for sharing!

People with bad backs (place image of me here) tend to not use as much rotation of hips as others. Most back problems are in lower back. When I try my swing from years ago I still have the flexibility but do not enjoy the pain.

imho, it's fine to let the hips rotate away from the ball in the backswing. in fact, i'd say it's necessary for the vast majority of ams due to mobility, balance and strength limitations. trail hip depth at the top of the backswing is critical. as far as the through-swing, i'm not sure that focusing on hip movement is a good idea.
If I don't turn my right hip back during the backswing, its not gonna be a good swing.

I try not to focus on hip movements and just want to feel my back coiled and facing the target in my backswing.

If I do that then hip rotation just happens. For me personally when I think about hip rotation I end up with way too much of it and block shots right because I don’t rotate thru quick/hard enough.

If I don't turn my right hip back during the backswing, its not gonna be a good swing.

same. hip depth at the top (like you’re pushing your right glute into a wall behind you)

Back