Hole In One Tournament

Would you count it as a hole in one?

• Total voters

YukonLiving

Team Hackers
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Later this month, my local course is hosting a fundraiser tournament for youth hockey. Being keen to support, and eyeing an opportunity to play some fun golf, I made sure to enter a team right away!

Now here's the interesting part - It's being designed as a "Hole In One Tournament". Meaning that tee boxes will be on average 150 yards away from the pin. Yes, there are some incredible prizes, but more importantly: If you drained your tee shot, would you count it as a HIO?

Tough one, but i think only If it's from a regular tee box.

Would you count a hole in one of you played a par 3 course? Kinda the same thing right?

The definition of a hole in one, is getting the ball, in the hole, in one shot. Doesn’t matter where they put the tee box. 150 yards out is still a pretty fair shot. If I did it, I’d count it.

Would you count a hole in one of you played a par 3 course? Kinda the same thing right?

I'm not very good... but yes I would. We've got some pretty tough shots to make on our local executive course. Not sure I'd count one from a temporary tee box though.

When we set the course up as a par 3 on every hole, the HIO pot is not in play. You can count it i guess, but ...... is it really?

If it goes in the hole in one swing absolutely

I'm not very good... but yes I would. We've got some pretty tough shots to make on our local executive course. Not sure I'd count one from a temporary tee box though.
If your going to count one at an executive course, might as well count one during the event if you get one.

Is it tee’d up behind the markers?
Did it go in the hole on the first swing?

If the answer to both of those is yes, it 100% counts. In fairness this response comes from someone who’s only hole in one is on a small par 3 course on the 97yd ninth hole. It was playing 104 that day though 😂

Absolutely it would count!

If your going to count one at an executive course, might as well count one during the event if you get one.

We have three holes over 160 (par 3's) at this course, plus a handful of holes with a creek dividing the hole along with some bunkers and some serious elevation changes - not sure you can classify this as any easier than your typical par 3 holes on a normal course. I'd say at least 5 of the 9 holes are as hard or harder than most of their counterparts at "normal" courses locally.

I said yes. If you hole your first shot from the tee that is a hole in one. It doesn't matter to me if it's not the regular tee box.

Yup I'd count it for sure. 150 yards is still a standard par 3 length.

I've thought about this a lot since registering the team, and I've admittedly gone back and forth a few times. But right now, I'm leaning more to the "I'd count it" side of things. I mean, 150 yds is a pretty standard par 3 length after all.

It definitely counts.

Pretty sure everyone wanting you to buy them drinks would agree, and wouldnt accept the arguement otherwise.

If you put 1 on a scorecard - HIO for me. I get it, but I still count it. The likelyhood of me getting it is still small and I'm counting it for me and you and ego. It doesn't hurt me at all if someone gets 3 hole in one's or 30. Just like it shouldn't diminish it if it's set up to be a HIO tourney.

All I'm saying is, get it done. Yes I will count it with you.

It definitely counts.

Pretty sure everyone wanting you to buy them drinks would agree, and wouldnt accept the arguement otherwise.
Haha! Good point!!

A course here has a 98 yard par 3 as its second hole. It has hole-in-ones on it wvery week or two.

If that one counts, a 150 yd hole definitely counts.

Seems iffy if it’s not a par 3 by nature. I don’t know. How is it really any different than a hole out from the fairway in normal play then?

The only way I'd question it is if the holes were set up at under 100 yards or something. If I got a HIO at the executive 9 this evening it's as much of a HIO as if I get one on my Thursday league 9.

I’d count it. One shot and from a normal par 3 distance of ~150 yards sounds fair to me.

Back