Homemade Bacon Here I Come...

MacTourney

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Coney Dogs
Hope this grows into a hobby, I think it will.

I've been thinking about preserving pork belly with salt now for a couple years and want to give it a try this fall. Doesn't look too difficult, have studied and read a ton on YouTube both from a current perspective and how it was done in the 18th century, and can't get past the first hurdle of confusion. the salt.

If anyone has preserved pork belly using salt and has really good skills in that arena can you suggest a good salt brand for this specific purpose that doesn't have all the extra additives that are said to be avoided when using salt for preserving, and why, also don't quite understand how nitrates and nitrites enter into this.

Is Kosher salt good to use whose only ingredients are salt, and yellow prussiate of soda (anti-caking agent). Feel free to expand on these questions or hidden secrets. TIA

I thought I was about to read a thread about a pet peg that was meeting his/her demise...

That might become phase 2...

I thought you were supposed to use pink curing salt for that stuff?

That might become phase 2...
Uh Oh Reaction GIF by Tricia  Grace

I thought I was about to read a thread about a pet peg that was meeting his/her demise...
I don’t miss having pigs. Miss the end results, but man they’re nasty.

I don’t miss having pigs. Miss the end results, but man they’re nasty.
We had some growing up, and yes, absolutely disgusting animal.

Not helping but the closest I've gotten to making my own bacon is smoking some pork belly chunks and turning them into bacon candy.

With early season goose open, and a huge bag limit, we are busy making home made smoked goose bacon and goose jerky.

Back