Buck

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was golfing the other day and someone mentioned to me that at the top of my backswing my club face is hooded? I noticed it as well, and it seems that my right hand doesn't open up at all during the
backswing. So I adjusted my grip a little and it started to open up but than everything was a nasty slice(not even really, just shooting off to the right, Im a righty). Even my chipping and pitching was doing the same. I think it was because I couldn't close the face on impact. So i went back to my normal grip and everything was fine. So my main question is, whats wrong with a hooded clubface, and would it benefit me to change my grip to prevent it. The one thing I also noticed is that when I did change my grip, my head didn't really lift up during the backswing. thanks in advance.

So I was golfing the other day and someone mentioned to me that at the top of my backswing my club face is hooded? I noticed it as well, and it seems that my right hand doesn't open up at all during the
backswing. So I adjusted my grip a little and it started to open up but than everything was a nasty slice(not even really, just shooting off to the right, Im a righty). Even my chipping and pitching was doing the same. I think it was because I couldn't close the face on impact. So i went back to my normal grip and everything was fine. So my main question is, whats wrong with a hooded clubface, and would it benefit me to change my grip to prevent it. The one thing I also noticed is that when I did change my grip, my head didn't really lift up during the backswing. thanks in advance.

Buck,

The first thing to remember is that if you are making a change you need to have a reason for making the change. If you are happy with your contact and ball flight then the hooded face or closed clubface isn't an issue.

"if it ain't broke then don't fix it!"

Also remember your buddy wants to beat you! :) so take his advice with a grain of salt. Or he thinks that if he tells you something about your swing you will dwell on the "so called problem" and not your golf game. The ole get in their head strategy! :)

Lance West
PGA Member
GolfTEC-Minnetonka, MN

Thanks for the reply. And I think I will just stick with it, maybe as I improve its something I can consider.

Back