Yeah I don't know when or where cornhole took over horseshoes but it is depressing. Its OK but its not horseshoes. Remember playing them all the time growing up at family parties. Used to have pits at my first house wish I could again.

I have a set of pits in my yard. I learned to play from my father when I was about 10. I had joined a local club, and you have to join the NHPA, National Horseshoe Pitchers Assoc., of which each state has their own chapter. Played for a few years, traveling all over the state of Illinois, pitching shoes, and meeting good people, young and old. I eventually became 1st Vice-President of our state chapter for about 2 years. After that, I did not pitch for a number of years. Kind of gave it up. I have not pitched in competition for at least 20+ years. The pits in my backyard are in disrepair, but have thought about getting them in shape this year. Young folks like the bags thing...

Last edited:
My son and I like to play, but it's not common to find. Interestingly, we almost always see them at campgrounds.

Back in the day if you were at a keg party and there was a horseshoe pit it was going to be a good time. Any sport you can play with a beer in your hand is a plus!

I almost see this as an "old timers" game. I remember my grandfather had one in the back yard that we used to play while at all our family gatherings. But these days, I see cornhole replacing it for the most part. I don't see horseshoes around much anymore.

Who lives around the Chicago area, NW burbs, who plays horseshoes? Maybe, if I get my pits fixed up, we could pitch. Anyone interested?? I have two sets of shoes, which are the real deal, sanctioned the NHPA. These are not the toy set that you buy in a big box store! I ordered these online, and you can get the weight you like when you order your favorite style of shoe. I also have a set of shoes that are for the flip style of pitching. I throw a 3/4 turn, which is considered a "finesse" style of pitching. Most guys throw 1.5 turn shoe. Lots of folks throw a flip, but you must have good control. Let me know if you are interested in pitching some shoes...

Last edited:
Many years ago I played in a league after work. My boss had been playing for years and was one of those guys who could throw ringers 90-plus percent of the time. Basically it's like darts/bowling/etc - an excuse to get out for a few drinks.
I haven't thrown shoes in years - cornhole is certainly safer and more portable, hence the popularity.

We ( family in total) don't play with horseshoes unless we end up spending about $120 every 4-6 weeks to trim and shoe our 4 horses. That's enough horsehoes to make you want to not play "horseshoes' :ROFLMAO:

We ( family in total) don't play with horseshoes unless we end up spending about $120 every 4-6 weeks to trim and shoe our 4 horses. That's enough horsehoes to make you want to not play "horseshoes' :ROFLMAO:
🤣🤣🤭🤔...

My family reunion in Jamestown VA used to have some mean horseshoe tournaments when the older folks in the family could still get around well and could play. The smokers would be rolling with BBQ and chicken quarters and you could sit by the James River in the shade with a cold drink while they played and the food cooked. Simpler times then.

Back