How to fill the gap

Thedoswells

Reaction score
Handicap
GST 12.0
Ok, so I guess I could get a telling off for this but I genuinely could do with a bit of advice.
To explain why.... My current profile..
im 56, 5' 7" and slight.
Play about 5 to 10 games in a year now, more than before.
My bag now is mainly 10 clubs.
i can't use my 5 wood as I can't get it off the ground.
so I use my lovely x2 hot driver and then nothing until my 5 iron and so on...
bit of a gap!
I was hoping to put 2 clubs in there.
most of the local places here will only have a limited set of options to be fit to.
so I'd like to get a short list of some clubs which may work to save time.
also really like the comments here and trust the reviews.

i was thinking about either 2 fairways or a fairway and a hybrid.
My SS was measured at exactly 90 and my normal scores on courses around here are mid to high 70s unless the course has any real length. I am not a member of a club...

i really need clubs that I can get up in the air as I struggle to get them off the ground, esp fairways etc.

i was wondering about the callaway V series. Maybe lighter clubs with low c of g would help me get elevation?

If anyone with a similar SS and profile to me has any thoughts I would really appreciate it.

many thanks

Steve

My SS is a little higher than yours at 95. I own 2 Callaway V Series fairway woods and highly recommend them. They are super easy to get up off the ground. The heavenwood is definitely an easy launcher. I have never been a high ball hitter and ending up putting lead tape on the crown of the heavenwood to know the ball flight down a little. The V Series fairways are as solid as any that I have ever hit. A had a heavier shaft than stock put in mine as I have never fared really well with very light weight clubs. Hope this helps and good luck.

My SS is a little higher than yours at 95. I own 2 Callaway V Series fairway woods and highly recommend them. They are super easy to get up off the ground. The heavenwood is definitely an easy launcher. I have never been a high ball hitter and ending up putting lead tape on the crown of the heavenwood to know the ball flight down a little. The V Series fairways are as solid as any that I have ever hit. A had a heavier shaft than stock put in mine as I have never fared really well with very light weight clubs. Hope this helps and good luck.

They will definitely be on my list then to try out. Much appreciate the note... Just need to work out which ones would even out the gap between driver and 5 iron... Cheers again

Though my SS is faster than yours, we are built the same in stature. Don't think you'd go wrong with a V Series wood(s), but I'd also recommend looking at the hybrids. They'll be longer than your 5 iron, however they are easier to hit and get the ball in the air quickly and with the distance you're looking for. I'd suggest a 20 and probably a 25 degree hybrid (or around there) for spacing between your driver and 5 iron. The new Alpha 815 hybrids are adjustable and VERY easy to hit. You might also check out the hybrid options for the new Callaway XF line, if you can find them, as they JUST came out.

I'm a big fan of the Callaway x2hot hybrids. Wicked easy to hit, with a nice ball flight. Most hybrids I just laser right over the greens, with the x2hot the ball flight is high enough to stick right on the greens. I've struggled with fairway woods, but have no problem getting the x2hots up in the air, while not ballooning the shot.

Look at the bobby jones woods and hybo both are crazy easy to hit high launching monsters

Though my SS is faster than yours, we are built the same in stature. Don't think you'd go wrong with a V Series wood(s), but I'd also recommend looking at the hybrids. They'll be longer than your 5 iron, however they are easier to hit and get the ball in the air quickly and with the distance you're looking for. I'd suggest a 20 and probably a 25 degree hybrid (or around there) for spacing between your driver and 5 iron. The new Alpha 815 hybrids are adjustable and VERY easy to hit. You might also check out the hybrid options for the new Callaway XF line, if you can find them, as they JUST came out.

Ah so that's intereting. You think I would get more distance from a 25 deg hybrid than my 23 dog speedblade 5 iron? Assume this is mainly shaft length?
thanks for the thoughts...

I'm a big fan of the Callaway x2hot hybrids. Wicked easy to hit, with a nice ball flight. Most hybrids I just laser right over the greens, with the x2hot the ball flight is high enough to stick right on the greens. I've struggled with fairway woods, but have no problem getting the x2hots up in the air, while not ballooning the shot.

This is very valuable. Many thanks

Ah so that's intereting. You think I would get more distance from a 25 deg hybrid than my 23 dog speedblade 5 iron? Assume this is mainly shaft length?
thanks for the thoughts...

The face technology and the length of the shaft, plus that it's easier to hit...should give you more distance than your 5 iron. Guessing you'll see the length of around a 3 or 4 iron with that hybrid loft.

Look at the bobby jones woods and hybo both are crazy easy to hit high launching monsters
Not even aware of these. Wondering whether I can get them over here... I'll certainly look. Thanks

The face technology and the length of the shaft, plus that it's easier to hit...should give you more distance than your 5 iron. Guessing you'll see the length of around a 3 or 4 iron with that hybrid loft.

Wow I want to get out there now. Shame it's snowing! :banghead:

The 2015 Adams TightLies are very easy to hit and elevate. The stock shaft is a Mitsubishi Kuro Kage, a very high launching shaft. Very high, yet piercing ball flight, with a very soft landing.

It's hard to tell without being able to try everything out, but I would recommend 2 hybrids as well. They are much easier to hit off the fairway and they tend to launch pretty easily. Look for hybrids with larger club heads. Taylormade SLDR S and Ping G30's come to mind. If you're having trouble getting fairways into the air, I would avoid any hybrid that is listed as "pro" or has a small head shape. Those tend to launch lower and be a little more demanding. Taylormade just brought out the R15 (more pro style head, lower launching, more demanding) and Aeroburner lines (larger, more forgiving, higher launching head) if you want to search the internet for pictures to give you an idea what to look for.

The 2015 Adams TightLies are very easy to hit and elevate. The stock shaft is a Mitsubishi Kuro Kage, a very high launching shaft. Very high, yet piercing ball flight, with a very soft landing.

thanks. I need to look at the lofts etc. I think Adams are normally stocked in the fitting stores near me. Sounds good to add to the list..

It's hard to tell without being able to try everything out, but I would recommend 2 hybrids as well. They are much easier to hit off the fairway and they tend to launch pretty easily. Look for hybrids with larger club heads. Taylormade SLDR S and Ping G30's come to mind. If you're having trouble getting fairways into the air, I would avoid any hybrid that is listed as "pro" or has a small head shape. Those tend to launch lower and be a little more demanding. Taylormade just brought out the R15 (more pro style head, lower launching, more demanding) and Aeroburner lines (larger, more forgiving, higher launching head) if you want to search the internet for pictures to give you an idea what to look for.

excellent thank you. More to consider which just makes it more fun. Shame I gotta wait until March..

I'm going with 4 hybrids this spring and putting the 3 & 5 wood on time out. Hybrids just make sense right now where I normally play. I can reach the par 5's in two even with a hybrid at a 3 wood loft. No more than 4 degree gaps through my bag. Also sticking with older square grooved irons once again. I have never been able to adjust my style with all the rollout of the new grooves. I'll stick with pin hunting as I always have with the old grooves. I average about half the length on first putts with old grooves versus new grooves.

Ok, so I guess I could get a telling off for this but I genuinely could do with a bit of advice.
To explain why.... My current profile..
im 56, 5' 7" and slight.
Play about 5 to 10 games in a year now, more than before.
My bag now is mainly 10 clubs.
i can't use my 5 wood as I can't get it off the ground.
so I use my lovely x2 hot driver and then nothing until my 5 iron and so on...
bit of a gap!
I was hoping to put 2 clubs in there.
most of the local places here will only have a limited set of options to be fit to.
so I'd like to get a short list of some clubs which may work to save time.
also really like the comments here and trust the reviews.

i was thinking about either 2 fairways or a fairway and a hybrid.
My SS was measured at exactly 90 and my normal scores on courses around here are mid to high 70s unless the course has any real length. I am not a member of a club...

i really need clubs that I can get up in the air as I struggle to get them off the ground, esp fairways etc.

i was wondering about the callaway V series. Maybe lighter clubs with low c of g would help me get elevation?

If anyone with a similar SS and profile to me has any thoughts I would really appreciate it.

many thanks

Steve

What is your current 5 wood set up and how far do you hit it? Also, what is the longest distance you need to hit from the fairway?

What is your current 5 wood set up and how far do you hit it? Also, what is the longest distance you need to hit from the fairway?

Current 5 wood is an old 19 metal which was not fitted and if I hit a good one off the tee it may be 180
i guess the main thing is my driver is about 215 to 220 in the air and next club I use is 5 iron which I guess I hit about 165 in the air so looking for 2 clubs in between which I can use off the fairway and ideally off the tee sometimes...
thank you

I'm going with 4 hybrids this spring and putting the 3 & 5 wood on time out. Hybrids just make sense right now where I normally play. I can reach the par 5's in two even with a hybrid at a 3 wood loft. No more than 4 degree gaps through my bag. Also sticking with older square grooved irons once again. I have never been able to adjust my style with all the rollout of the new grooves. I'll stick with pin hunting as I always have with the old grooves. I average about half the length on first putts with old grooves versus new grooves.

are you comfortable with hitting them off the tee too?
cheers

My swing speed is 93mph. I'm a 9hcp, but can't hit a fairway wood off the ground for all the tea in China! I do have my cheaters club which is an 18 degree 3 wood, which I'm ok with. I still have my moments when i decapitate every worm in the ball's flight path. However, with my hybrid, I have no problem at all. I have a 21.5 degree hybrid that I get plenty of height with, and I'm accurate with. I'm about to add a 23 degree into the bag. It may pay to go and try a hybrid or 2.

More hybrids is more better. I just revamped my bag and have one fairway and four hybrids. My first real iron is a 7.
I have more confidence from 210 to 150 than ever. The game is hard enough. Make it as easy as possible.

My swing speed is 93mph. I'm a 9hcp, but can't hit a fairway wood off the ground for all the tea in China! I do have my cheaters club which is an 18 degree 3 wood, which I'm ok with. I still have my moments when i decapitate every worm in the ball's flight path. However, with my hybrid, I have no problem at all. I have a 21.5 degree hybrid that I get plenty of height with, and I'm accurate with. I'm about to add a 23 degree into the bag. It may pay to go and try a hybrid or 2.

Sounds much like me when it comes to the worms lol. Thanks for the advice!

I agree with the others. Get some hybrids you feel comfortable with. I'm close to just going with a 2 hy. High launch is always a good thing for stopping on greens. Of course if it is windy that can be painful to get the distance.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I agree with the others. Get some hybrids you feel comfortable with. I'm close to just going with a 2 hy. High launch is always a good thing for stopping on greens. Of course if it is windy that can be painful to get the distance.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

sounds good thanks. The wind is something I'm concerned about a big here in East England, and also hitting off the tee on holes where I don't want to take driver...

Current 5 wood is an old 19 metal which was not fitted and if I hit a good one off the tee it may be 180
i guess the main thing is my driver is about 215 to 220 in the air and next club I use is 5 iron which I guess I hit about 165 in the air so looking for 2 clubs in between which I can use off the fairway and ideally off the tee sometimes...
thank you

This is really hard to answer without seeing you swing. Most current 5 woods are designed to maximize launch - some almost to an extreme. Contact being equal, a fairway wood will launch higher than the same loft hybrid. Shaft length plays a part in this (fairway woods are generally longer) as does the lower COG in the newer fairway woods. Hybrids often work better for people because of the shorter shaft length which in turn leads to more centered contact.

For you, I would probably look at a high launch 5 wood with a shorter than standard shaft. Several fairway wood heads fit the bill here - Ping K15 or G25 or the XHot or X2Hot as examples. The problem with all of those is that they come stock with pretty long shafts but maybe you could find one already cut down? I would also then look for a hybrid that fits in loft between your 5 wood and 5 iron. Again, look for shorter shafts if possible.

This is really hard to answer without seeing you swing. Most current 5 woods are designed to maximize launch - some almost to an extreme. Contact being equal, a fairway wood will launch higher than the same loft hybrid. Shaft length plays a part in this (fairway woods are generally longer) as does the lower COG in the newer fairway woods. Hybrids often work better for people because of the shorter shaft length which in turn leads to more centered contact.

For you, I would probably look at a high launch 5 wood with a shorter than standard shaft. Several fairway wood heads fit the bill here - Ping K15 or G25 or the XHot or X2Hot as examples. The problem with all of those is that they come stock with pretty long shafts but maybe you could find one already cut down? I would also then look for a hybrid that fits in loft between your 5 wood and 5 iron. Again, look for shorter shafts if possible.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
i think I will now try 2 or 3 fairways and some hybrids and see what works best. Some great advice about which ones to consider, and then info about shaft lengths etc. I guess I may end up with 2 hybrids or a fairway and a hybrid. Got to hit more longer par fours than I can at present.
cheers

Back