HZRDUS-Black, green, yellow, smoke....

Brucem609

Rum Afficianado
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been trying to do research to tell me what the difference is between them. I was fit into the yellow 5.5 76G shaft into my driver and it has helped.
I was gaming 1 of 2 diff shafts:
Stock Ping Alta Reg
Fujikura pro Stiff
I hit the HZRDUS yellow best
Should I also get that shaft in my 3W?
I hear that the 3W shaft should be heavier than your driver.... is that accurate, of still get the 76G for the 3W?
I know get fit, but right now I can’t.... but I can get the shaft.
what’s everybody think?
Yellow
Black
Smoke???
What’s the difference

Based on my research and attending PX/True Sports last fall, these are my Coles Notes:

Black = Low spin, low launch. Very stable.
Yellow = Low spin, low launch for more smooth tempo players. CB.
Smoke = Higher torque than black means smoother feel.
Green = You are Bruce Banner.

I suppose it depends on how you hit and want to play your 3W, but if you were fit into a heavy-soft yellow for your driver, it'd be very unlikely you'd want a black or smoke in your 3W.

The black is pretty stout, with a stiff tip, and is for more aggressive swingers.
The smoke is higher torque (more feel) but is actually stiffer than the black.
The yellow is counterbalanced and has a different mid section that profiles to smoother tempos. It's really quite different from the other two in my opinion.
The green is for non-humans.

I'm curious why they fit you into a 76g 5.5 yellow for your driver, honestly. Are you playing it at a much shorter length? Because that would make more sense.

Generally people play heavier and slightly softer tips as they transitions through their FWs. Everyone is different though. A lot of people play the yellow in fairway woods (because of it's softer/smoother profile), so it might make some sense to stick with that on your 3W if it's working in your driver.

The Yellow is counterbalanced/butt weighted/whatever so if you use that, you're either going to get a lower swing weight, a longer club, or need a heavier headweight.

The Black is stout. Definitely for the "go-getters" and not for the timid swingers.

The Smoke is a good compromise if you like the black, but don't wanna have to "get after" every swing.

I have no experience with the green, but if I ever find a decent deal on a 60g, 6.5 that doesn't have the green paint, I will know first hand all about it.

I play a smoke yellow 6.0 in my driver because I love the counter balance; also the shaft is X flex at the tip and handle and regular flex in the middle. So no part of the shaft is "stiff". Although mine is a 6.0 aka stiff. So that's based on your swing and not speed.

I play smoke black 6.0 in my 3 wood and driving iron. I do not believe yellow is offered in the fairways yet.

Green is rebar haha jk. It all depends on swing these days, not speed.

Smoke is offered in all of the colors, i.e. yellow black green.

For the eve flow riptide, i used a 6.5 (x) in a callaway mavrik and loved it.
If you watch the latest Titleist video on THP TV, the doc in charge of iron design plays an X flex in a ts4, but he said his speed and strength aren't typical of that combo. So again, its all about swing, not speed.

The latest THP True Temper with @+7 KPTT , Keenan mentions its not about speed anymore, all swing type.

We can meet up any time and you can try my smoke yellow and black.

Back