I would love some input from this great forum!

BrianW

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a PXG fitting for irons set for Tuesday. I am currently playing Ping G15's. My swing speed has gone down and my wrists protest a bit much these days . Looking to get a set of PXG 0211 XCore 2 with graphite shafts. My biggest quandry is the black heads or chrome. Anybody habe experience with black finish and how it holds up? I am getting fit at their Seattle location. Actually Bellevue if you know Seattle. They fit me for the Gen 4 0811 XF driver and I was so impressed with the fitting. They actually called me today to get info on what I would like to get out of the fitting. My experience with their customer service has been great. Thanks in advance for any input!

I used to live in Issaquah...I can't speak to PXG, but my experience with black in golf heads is the color will degrade over time, after all you're slamming them in the dirt. I imagine you could get them refinished periodically, but am not sure if you want to hassle with that.

Regardless, good luck with your fitting. (y)🏌️‍♂️

ps: I've been fit before, but never heard of a fitter calling before the fitting to ask what you would like to get out of it.

I've had 2 sets of black irons the tour edge xcg6 which held up but did start to degrade and black Cleveland cg or something similar can't remember the full name and it held up but still showed wear. I knew it would happen and was not a big deal but if it's going to bother you then I'd probably go chrome.

I'm no expert by far, but I believe there are two methods for making "black" irons. There is "PVD" which is a coating and will wear off quickly. I believe, but you'd have to ask PXG themselves, uses the DBM method which holds up much better.

I had Black irons that held up ok but it's the way they are made that makes the difference as @Phil75070 said.

If you like they way they look I say buy them.

Hope the fitting goes well. I am loving the 5w I got from PXG. Getting fit is the way to go!

My black 54* Mizuno wore pretty quick. Looks cool wore though especially if some of it is in the middle of the face. No matter I knew it was a great wedge first time I picked it up. Lead tape looks better on chrome by the way.

I love black irons, I know they will wear over time and I love that even more! Never hit a pxg club but they opened a new store in my area and definitely want to give it a shot!

I don't think I've ever seen any finish that didn't wear off. Especially on the sole of the club if you hit off mats much at all.

I had black Cleveland wedges, the finish wore off pretty quickly and they looked a lot shabbier/more worn than regular chrome/matte wedges.

Sand will leave a blast mark on most black finishes. Copper has held well from Cobra

Got my fitting done today. Very thorough. Tried KBS Max Graphite A, Mitsubishi MMT A, Project X Cypher 50i. also KBS Tour Lite in steel. I though the Cypher would be the shaft but my best ball speed and dispersion came with the Mitsubishi MMT. I was hitting the 0211 Xcor2 head. My fitter also had me try the 0311 XP Gen 5 but it was almost identical to the 0211 Xcor2. He said why spend the extra money. I also hit and ordered a 0211 Hybrid also with the Mitsubishi MMT shaft. Felt like a cannon. Really good dispersion. It was a great experience. I ended up getting the chrome finish. I think it will hold up a little better.

Last edited:
The fitting was done using the PXG golf ball. Even with the jacked lofts I hit the ball higher with tighter dispersion than my Ping G15.

Back