If its most likely mental, what do you do?

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
As I noted in other threads, my problem is green side sand bunkers. Last week, if I had a bunker shot, I could have broken 80 for about the third time in my life. I have taken bunker lessons from no less than three PGA club professionals, I have read just about every article and have viewed multiple videos on bunker play. I still can not get out of a sand bunker with any hope of just two putting for bogey. More than one person has told me it is now mental. I have got to agree, I have a mental problem of some sort regarding bunkers. I now use what I call a BAS-bunker avoidance shot. I don't care where the flag may be, I never aim anywhere near a bunker. How do I address this apparent mental problem?

Edit: Freddie's section -- Listen to what he tells you!!!

Find a practice facility with a bunker, and hit 1,000 shots. Best way to get over it as far as I am concerned.

Edit: Freddie's section -- Listen to what he tells you!!!

Find a practice facility with a bunker, and hit 1,000 shots. Best way to get over it as far as I am concerned.

yup. If you've already taken lessons and know the technique from videos, tips etc, the only thing left to do is just go out there and practice them until you're comfortable. You need to make a confident swing in a greenside bunker, a tentative one will get you no where. This one is solved by reps, reps, and more reps. Doing all that practice and seeing better results will also take your mental game to where it needs to be on those shots.

I practice more until the mental barrier eases. Notice I didn't say go away. That won't happen until the issue goes away based on success when playing. It does take a lot of time!!

In case you missed the first couple of posts ( :alien:) .....go practice. That's the only way to master a shot, do it until you have no doubt it's going to go where you want it, or at least out of the bunker.

I genuinely appreciate the responses thus far, and I certainly understand the positive impact of practice. My current practice venue has a nice practice bunker that I visit quite often. Most times, before I leave, I do seem to hit not great but acceptable shots. Then it becomes time to play and the old me so to speak shows up. No matter what I say to the brain, it tells the body, this ain't happening.

I genuinely appreciate the responses thus far, and I certainly understand the positive impact of practice. My current practice venue has a nice practice bunker that I visit quite often. Most times, before I leave, I do seem to hit not great but acceptable shots. Then it becomes time to play and the old me so to speak shows up. No matter what I say to the brain, it tells the body, this ain't happening.

Might try a different club. If you consistently use a 56* try a 60* or vice versa. It might be enough to trick your brain into accepting the shot and letting you make it.

If it's mental, you need to change your mental approach, not your mechanics. While easier said than done, try viewing bunker shots as an opportunity, not a penalty.

Each time you find yourself in a bunker, think about how getting it up and down (or even just on the green) would make your day/round. I'm sure you'd be thrilled, so try to seek out that specific feeling.

When you say you can't get out, what is happening. I'm inclined to think it's a physical issue more than a mental issue.

When I coach youth who are in the same bind I focus them on the process not the result - we can gain confidence in our ability to do each step properly; taking the result out of the equation frees our mind to simply execute the steps of the process without burden.

In my world - as I think about bunker shots - that would be
1) set up properly;
2) set the wrists;
3) "strike the match"

Listen to Freddie or your instructors to find your 2 or 3 things, then just focus on them. The ball will do what the ball will do, but you shouldn't have the same mental block about it because you know you can do your 2 or 3 things.

When you say you can't get out, what is happening. I'm inclined to think it's a physical issue more than a mental issue.

It's pretty much a mix of 50% of the time, leaving it in the bunker; 40% flying way over the green. The 10% that end up on the green are typically more than 25 feet from the pin. And they all roll, none of them stop quickly. The other thing is that when not in a bunker, I am reasonably happy with my short game. I'm up and down more often than not.

It's pretty much a mix of 50% of the time, leaving it in the bunker; 40% flying way over the green. The 10% that end up on the green are typically more than 25 feet from the pin. And they all roll, none of them stop quickly. The other thing is that when not in a bunker, I am reasonably happy with my short game. I'm up and down more often than not.

It's a combination of lack of tempo and length of swing. This is effecting your impact position. So there are two positions to play the ball, up front or back in the stance. Back in the stance requires you use the bounce of the club. Up front allows for more sand between the club and the ball.

Have you tried to use the bounce of your club? This is the area at the bottom of the wedge. This allows the club to assist with getting the ball out of the trap. It allows requires that you strike very close to the ball. The best way to practice this is to set up without a ball in the bunker. Dig the feet in, widen the stance, bend those knees and choke down on the club to off set the knee bend. Weight forward and hands forward with an open club face. Draw a line for the ball and work on thumping the sand with the bottom of the club. As long as your weight is forward you'll make a descending blow and the club will get under your intended target.

The key is to hear that thump and swing to your finish. The length of the swing should be short of shoulders. Meaning the hands never get above the shoulders. Really pull the handle of the club back toward the ball and slap or thump the sand with the bottom of the club. After a few tries, place a ball in the same spot. (Clean area after each shot) and do the same thing. The goal is to get the ball out onto the green. The length of your swing will determine the distance the ball travels. Commit to the shot and motion. Don't think, 'what if I blade it' do what I've suggested and the ball will come out high and soft.

Move the ball forward for those lower trajectory runners. This needs the same setup except your hitting an inch behind he ball and allowing the sand to push the ball out of the trap.

Tadashi:

Thanks for the response and the advice. I will definitely do my best to follow your advice. The tough part is keeping that "what if" out of my head. Like you suggested, my immediate goal will be just to get the ball on the green.

Remember,this is the easiest shot in golf. It is the only one where you do not hit the ball and can miss your spot by as much as an inch and still get acceptable results.

From what I have observed the most common mistake is not following through. Ignore the ball and "throw" the sand onto the green.

I use a very simple method for normal sand shots. 1) Decide which direction I want the ball to go and draw a line, mentally, through the ball. This is the spin-line. 2) Using either a 50, 54, or 58 degree wedge, and an open club face, I pass the club head under the ball...along the spin-line. That's it. As long as you don't hit the ball (thin) or hit too far behind it (fat) you'll be fine. Since the ball and club never quite make contact; the ball goes in the direction the club head is moving rather than the direction the club face is pointing. Try giving yourself just those two things to do instead of a laundry list of don'ts.

Back